Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trespassers make key to MY gate >

Trespassers make key to MY gate

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trespassers make key to MY gate

Old 10-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Trespassers make key to MY gate

I ran into 4 trespassers (2 adults - 2 teenagers) this weekend. These guys had keys to my gate. I asked them how they got them. In seem that one of the adult has a "universal blank"???? I think that is what he called it. Anyway, he inserts the blank into the lock and somehow from that is able to make a key.

Is this possible? Anyone out there with locksmithing knowledge know what these guys are talking about?

The locks on these gates are large heavy-duty American-made Locks. I order them specifically from a locksmith. The locks costs me about $40 apiece and are supposedly bolt-cutter proof. The key that goes to the lock is a specific blank that you can't just go down to Lowes or your local hardware store and get a copy of the key. In fact the key is stamped "Do Not Copy". I give each member only one key.

I'm currently setting up a meeting with the local game warden to file an official complaint and would like to go into this meeting knowing what these guys are using.

Can anyone help?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trespassers make key to MY gate

Don't know much about locks, but I have to agree with droptine, that was dirty.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 AM

They should be prosecuted the same as you would treat someone who broke into your house.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

and you didnt prosecute on sight because??????????
Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

I think the term is a "bump key."
Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: madvilledoc

I ran into 4 trespassers (2 adults - 2 teenagers) this weekend. These guys had keys to my gate. I asked them how they got them. In seem that one of the adult has a "universal blank"???? I think that is what he called it. Anyway, he inserts the blank into the lock and somehow from that is able to make a key.

Is this possible? Anyone out there with locksmithing knowledge know what these guys are talking about?

The locks on these gates are large heavy-duty American-made Locks. I order them specifically from a locksmith. The locks costs me about $40 apiece and are supposedly bolt-cutter proof. The key that goes to the lock is a specific blank that you can't just go down to Lowes or your local hardware store and get a copy of the key. In fact the key is stamped "Do Not Copy". I give each member only one key.

I'm currently setting up a meeting with the local game warden to file an official complaint and would like to go into this meeting knowing what these guys are using.

Can anyone help?
Set up a meeting?? they were tresspassing press charges! end of story!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

What stinks about the whole thing (no I didn't have anyone make a key to my lock but have had trespassers) is that...even if you file a formal complaint a warning is as far as the first complaint will go. Call your sherriff and file that complaint though because the next time you catch them they will be issued a ticket...I'd say after that you would have a stronger leg to stand on.

Good luck!! I'm thinking change the locks, but it really isn't going to solve things.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

What do these trespassers do for a living? Sounds like they are smarter than the average bear who intrudes. This is the first I've heard of something like this. Just be glad that they didn't lock you out of your own place by SuperGluing your locks where the key is inserted. I fear this everytime I go out to my land.

Anyway, I hope you took some action to have this reported to the cops.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

IM to the point that i just call the local sherif and the game warden when I see people on my land. Ive gotten sick of the P.O.S. tearing up my land and poaching. I had a bad spell where people were cutting my fences and doing all kinds of crap on my land. I even caught a guy who threatened to turn me in for being on his land. This was my land and he was threatning me. I simply pulled out the cell phone and said, "let me save you the step" and I called the cops. We waited and I toldthe cops, ill be pressing charges.

Quick Reply: Trespassers make key to MY gate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.