Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

google EARTH

Old 10-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Spike

Default RE: google EARTH

try usaphotomaps, it is awsome. takes some getting used to using, but it is free and the picture quality is awsome!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the weather channel at www.weather.com . Enter your zip code and go to their interactive map. You can zoom way in and its in realtime. I havent been able to save the pic but I print it out on a good printer and then scan them in. Works great and has very good detail.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

I forgot about this new one out there. I love this map appbecause it gives you recent Arial Photo's, 3D topo's and you can combine the two together, tilt the image plane and zoom in and out and see your elevations. Very cool.

If your in the app, make sure you have 3D and Rpoad checked. Then you will see the relief map. Then just click Hybrid instead of Road. Then you can tilt the map and zoom around.

http://maps.live.com

Old 10-28-2007, 10:26 PM

You can zoom way in and its in realtime. What do you mean its real time? I just went to my hunting spot and it shows it sunny? Its 1:14am,It should be dark out, If its realtime or iam i wrong?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't actually say "realtime" but I did say "recent". I like Microsoft Terr Server but the images are years old. At maps.live.com I can see a sand pile in my back yard that has only been there for 5 moths.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:54 AM

if you use 'alt' and hit 'print screen' at the same time, copy it into Paint or photoshop and there's your pic! u can save it as a bmp or jpg and mark it up as you wish.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I work with maps daily, and each of these servers has pros and cons depending on the area. You should see if your state has a GIS clearninghouse where you can download maps. In NY, the state has a website where you can get all kinds of maps free by download. I can get USGS maps or aerial photos of the whole state. In some areas it is very detailed and others not so much, but I think the whole state can be downloaded at 1 meter per pixel (dot on the screen) or better.

I would have to second that idea about USAPhotoMaps. It is a nice program for people who are not too computer functional and has pretty good images.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Go to the Terra-Server site, or try this one:

http://dev.live.com/virtualearth/sdk/

Click on the hybrid and zoom into your spot...seems very detailed. Found it by accident. Not sure if you can save the images anywhere either. It's been awhile...