Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Busted, what to do? >

Busted, what to do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted, what to do?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Busted, what to do?

I was sitting on the inside corner of afield anda thicket against a tree/fencelinethis morning. Along the edge of the cpr theres a long rub line going through with some scrapes. Last year on different occasions there was a doe bedded and another time a buck was bedded down. At 9am I didnt see anything from either field and anything comming in or out of the cpr so I decided to grab my backpack and get ready to leave. As I was hunched over fiddling with the pack I looked up behind me and there was a nice 10pt in the middle of the glaring at me. I froze, but knew I was busted. After a few seconds he spun around with the tail up and leaped away. He was obviously headed into the middle of the cpr field, either to bed down or to scent check does.

Directaly acrossed the field from where I sat I have a ground blind setup on that inside corner, another 100-150yds down the fenceline i have a treestand setup intersecting 4 fencerows to interceptany deer travelling between these areas (obviously there travelling open field [&:]). Anyways, should I basically forget about this deer now and pretty much abandon this field/area? Or is there a chance he may be back, and just switch to one of my other locations on the same field?? Any idea's?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Busted, what to do?

As long as you haven't overhunted the area already then he'll be back, this was a one time incident to this deer, plus there are more deer that'll be travelling that area.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-27-2007, 11:08 AM

Give him a couple of days to forget, it's all good.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:16 AM

I think he just saw something that he didnt recongize and got out of there. I say give it a few days and you will be fine. He might be a little bit more weary though.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice. I def wont hunt that corner any more, I was actually gonna hunt another 60yds up but the wind wasent in my favour. I will stick to the other corners and my tree stand. Ill let the area sit prob till monday anyways.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

All depends on the deer.

He might. He might not.

I've had deer see me sittin' in the tree, but couldn't smell me. So they walkedcompletely around me (out of bow range) and through the thick cover just to get to the other side of me...then walk straight to me to get to the trail they were walking on in the first place.

Then i've had some see me, but couldn't smell me and they hauled tail out of the woods.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:27 PM

Nah, you got busted because your something out of place. How did he react? Just turn around or did he go off wheezing/snorting all the way thru the woods.Did he juststride out of there or haul out ofthere. Stay out of there for a while. At least for maybe some rain to clear off any scent you left. Be sure you don't touch anything out there, because that will leave a indicator a human has been there.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:19 PM

if he knew that it was a human there he might not come back but if he just didnt like the area at that time he might come back.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

I know he didnt wind me and he didnt get close to the trail/edge I walked in on to get my scent. He for sure seen me moving around though. No snorting or wheezing, he did put the tail up though and was leaping away. He for sure didnt like the looks of what he saw though.

Quick Reply: Busted, what to do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.