Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mixed Emotions... >

Mixed Emotions...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mixed Emotions...

Old 10-25-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Mixed Emotions...

Well after 3 bow seasons, i finally shot my first deer last night. I was ecstatic. I finally got a chance to take a shot and i guess i kinda made a bad decision. It was a good sized doe and she walked under my stand about 10 ft out from the tree i was in. I took the shot that was almost straight down and hit her right in the spine. The shot paralized her, but she wasnt dead, and didnt seem like she was plannin on dying anytime soon. So i climbed down the tree and packed up my stuff. I took it back to my truck bc i was only about a 10 min walk from the tree. When i got back, she still wasnt dead. So i decided that i needed to end it for her bc she wasnt loosin much blood and i felt like she was sufferin. Soi got out the knife and ended things. Still took her a while to go. Just the kicking and the suffering killed me to watch. When she was still kickin, a yearling dear that looked old enough to live without her mother walked up and just stared at her, and then she bleated, almost like she was calling out to her. It broke my heart. I mean, i have no problem taking a deer or squirrels or anything, but watchin that killed me. I gutted my dear and carried her to the truck. That scene just keeps replaying in my head. Anyone else been in a similar position? Im still stoked about getting my first kill with my bow, but that just sucked to watch.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mixed Emotions...

Why dint u just shoot her again?

Its defenitely hard to watch thats why we need to make our kills as quick and painless as possible. Its all part of hunting.

Congrats on your deer!!!

Live and learn. It happens to all of us. Next time end it as quick as possible with a follow up. Congrats on your first deer.

I'll be that was tough. But you know what? That's the right attitude to have. If you weren't a little sympathetic, you wouldn't have any respect for the animal. Learn from it and go on. I think I would have just put another arrow in her, but hey, it got the job done.

Congrats on your first archery deer! It's an accomplishment, and nobody can take anything away from that.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Just had my first spine shot about 2 weeks ago. It was a small doe, and she started bleating very loud and thrashing around. I grab another arrow to finish her off, but rushed it and gut shot her. I realized that I needed to take a breath and calm down, then put another arrow in her to finish her off. She was bleating the whole time, and it really bothered me to see her there suffering. I hope I never have that happen again.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Have it happen every so often,usually just shoot the Fawn too.

big rockpile
Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 PM

Oh yeah, Congrats on your first. It sure is nice to get that first one under your belt.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been there, done that, next time shoot her again in the lungs.. Sucks I know, but you know the saying Poop Happens..

3 yrs ago I hit a buck HIGH, spine shot, dropped him, he crawled away before I could get another arrow into him.. Climbed down, watched him try to get up, and then he just stared at me while I shot him again in the lungs.. Only took a few seconds for him to pass, but that look he gave me before I shot was tough.. He was a NICE 8 though..Good eatting too..
Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

This also happened to me when i first started. My buddy came over and told me to just shootit again she wasdone in a couple seconds after that. I did feel bad[&o] when I saw the deeralive after the shot but you will get over itTrust Me. Anyways congrats on your first kill now just adjust your shooting a little and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Mixed Emotions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.