Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why is hunting gear..... >

Why is hunting gear.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why is hunting gear.....

Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Why is hunting gear.....

Why is quality hunting gear such as warm, supporting boots and comfortable, functionable under and outer garments never discussed here on HNI?

Everyone is worried about what stabilizer, rest, bow etc etc is the "best"......But in my opinion your garments are what will make or break your hunts. Not what color camo or rest is on you bow.

Am I the only one with this line of thought????
Old 07-21-2006, 04:23 PM

Default RE: Why is hunting gear.....

Then let me start it off by saying that the new Rivers West L.A.W. gear is absolutely awesome! It's as waterproof as any oilskins I've worn at sea, it's quiet and it is vented as much as anything that's designed to keep water out can vent. Just don't have it on while you're climbing up the side of the mountain, put it on when you get to the top. One way you'll get wet from sweat, the other from rain; I'd prefer from rain.

But actually, shouldn't this be in the gear review thread?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do recall posts re underarmour and doufold undergarments,topics on wool vs synthetics. Some of these may be found under hunting gear reviews.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:36 PM

If this belongs in gear review, so do the "what stabilizer" and "what rest" and "what arrow" should I get threads.

I never thought about it buckeye, but you're right. Clothing isn't discussed much and I'm not sure why.

Personally, I absolutely LOVE RedHead clothing. I have a set of the Adaptation Fleece and just love it. It's very comfortable and warm. That said, the warmest coat I've ever had in my life is a Silent Suede Parka from Cabelas. It's waterproof, windproof, and breathable. I only wear it a few times a year, though. It just doesn't get cold enough here. My fleece keeps me very warm. I'll break it out when the ole thermometer dips into the lower 20's and teens. Otherwise, it's just too darn hot.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believeour clothing is absolutely the most important aspect of our ability to hunt long and hard in comfort.Warm,dry and quiet.I spend as much time researching hunting clothing as I do any other element of hunting equipment.
I am a fundamentalist with my bow and it's accessories as well as my rifles.Once you have weapons of adequate quality and function the most important thing is your ability to be out in the field comfortably,and that is clothing and your foot wear.
You raise a very good point Scott with this question!
Some of the big finds for me are Ulfrotte long underwear,Grey wolf woolens wolfskin clothing,rivers west clothing,Brynjes merkalon fish net long underwear,patagonia long underwear,ibex merino wool,smart wool.All of these products are rugged and keep you warm and dry.
I am happy to share any thing I know about any of these products.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scot

I would really like to hear about what you have discovered and your observations on the garments of your choice.

I am thinking about changing some things up this year with my layering system. I feel I had to many layers on once the temps dropped into the 20's.

I do still plan to have X-Static long johns next to my skin but I am looking for what to keep between them and my outer layer. I also plan to use the same outer garments (Cabelas MT050 Gore-Tex).

For all day stand sits in 20 to 30 and 30 to 40 degree weather what have you found to keep you the most comfortable?

I look forward to reading your thoughts as I know you are a man who takes his gear seriously and won't skimp on quality.

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Scott,
For your between layer I believe that either Patagonia Capilene top and bottoms would work very well for the 30 to 40 degree weather and Ulfrotte long underwear would be the ticket for the 30 degrees and below.The key with the long underwear is to purchase it one size larger than you would ordinarily wear so that it is plenty big to layer over your Xtactic and creates an air space with it's little bit of blousiness.The air space will keep you warmer and aid in evaporation of perspiration.I will get you web sites as to where to purchase the Ulfrotte the most reasonably,the 200 weight ulfrotte is what I believe you would want,the stuff is merino wool and it is real soft with no itch to it.Patagonia has changed their series of capilene,I will get you the new series name.It is great stuff,really light but really warm,a very high weight to warmth ratio.
As I know you are aware the key is getting to your stand dry,probably at the very least getting there with out your outer most layer on and than putting in on just before you enter your stand.
I will forward those websites to you.The more I think about it the more I think the Patagonia stuff will be really suitable for the temperature range you are talking about.The MT050 stuff that you have is unlined right?Everybody's tolerance for cold is a bit different.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

For me, especially when i'm archery hunting in colder weather, I wanna be as warm as possible with the least amount of bulk. The best thing I've found are Military weight Polartecbibs, well worth the money. Very warm and unrestrictive.

Zach

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?rid=&indexId=cat21126&navAction=pu sh&navCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat470076&p arentType=index&parentId=cat21126&id=00269 43
Old 07-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scot

I wear the MT050 Gore-Tex, Scent-Loc series. It isother wiseunlined with any insulation as you mentioned.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

I am with KodiakArcher, Rivers west is awesome... As well as Under Armour... I spent loads of money on ScentBlocker, no more no way, keep my dry and warm, or dry and cool and I am one happy camper.

Quick Reply: Why is hunting gear.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.