Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why is my Summit stand squeaking? >

Why is my Summit stand squeaking?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why is my Summit stand squeaking?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why is my Summit stand squeaking?

I have last year's Bushmaster XLS model that weighs 16lbs. It has Summit's trademark trigger lock/unlock system with the rubber coated cables. What's happening is I'm getting a ticking from the bottom platform whenever I stand up or sit down. At first I thought it was in the cable/trigger area because the rubber has ripped off the cable in the sections where the cable contacts the stops. However, upon closer inspection while getting up and sitting down on the tree, the noise doesn't seem to be coming from there. Rather it seems like it's coming from somewhere down at the base of the bottom platform. I've yet to pinpoint the problem.

Has anybody had any similar problems with Summit stands doing this and if so what was the cause?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why is my Summit stand squeaking?

I have had my viper for 5 years and have had zero problems, but I did read a post here last week were someone had the same problem as you. he said the 2nd rail in from the front of the platform had a problem and it could break. (not safe). Call summit they are very nice and helpful. They will probably send you a new platform and you will have to send yours back. Hope this helps! Keep me updated as I would like to know since I have a summit also. I like to hear all of these problems incase something starts acting funny on mine.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

File the powdercoat off of the teeth that bit the tree!!! I'd bet, the squeak will be gone!!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Host of Hosts

File the powdercoat off of the teeth that bit the tree!!! I'd bet, the squeak will be gone!!
That's exactly right. This is almost certainly your problem.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

powder coat? Would that cause this metallic ticking? And this ticking is an actual ticking, not a squeak. I think I get what you guys aregetting atwith the powerder coat because it squeaks against the tree right? Well, it doesn't matter what kind of tree I'm in. Whether it's a harder type wood or a soft type where the teeth of the stand pretty much just sink into the soft bark, the stand makes the same noise regardless.

I'll look into that though. Oh, could you elaborate further on filing the powerder coat off? Is there an edge of some sort that I have to take off the teeth too? And the other thing too is this is a year old stand, would the powdercoat still be there to cause this problem?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:27 PM

I don't think you have the "powder coat" problem. My Summit Razor ticks as well. As soon as I climb the tree I sit down in the seat and then stand back up to check for squeaks or ticks. If so, I raise/lower the bottom platform and this helps. Just have to play around with it.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Host of Hosts

powder coat? Would that cause this metallic ticking? And this ticking is an actual ticking, not a squeak.
Sorry misread the post. Call Summit tommorrow and ask them. They will tell you if they know of a concern.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Your thread title threw me off!!! It says "Why is my Summitstand squeaking?"

Guess thats what I get for speed reading!!!

If it is actually the metal flexing and rubbing, that would be a problem!!!