Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Its not easy to do the right thing >

Its not easy to do the right thing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Its not easy to do the right thing

Old 10-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Its not easy to do the right thing

I had my first everchance at a buck last night.At about 6 pm I saw some movement to the left of my stand. Sure enough a nice 8 pointer comes out about 50 yards. I begin praying for him to give me a shot.He begins to walk in the wrong direction, moving really slowly. Sniffing continuosly in the air. He stood still for about 7 minutes which felt like an hour.Then he changed directions toward my stand, took a few steps then stopped and began smelling some more.I am not a real religious person but I began asking god to let him take a couple more steps my way, he starts to approach a treeI had ranged at 22 yards. At this point it is beginning to get dark, I need him to take one more step as he was quartrering towards me with a couple of small limbs in between himself and my stand.Then he stood their sniffing some more, I am at full draw just waiting for one more step which wouldhave put him broadside and free of the limbs that might have impacted my shot.He begins smelling again and I know he can sense me, he came from the wrong direction for the current wind.Than as i believe he is getting ready to take the one step I need for a shot he makes a loud grunt sound at me and runs off in the direction he came from.I thought about taking the shot but I was horrified of not making a lethal shot, and with the temps around 65 I didn't want to have to wait til morning to do what would have been a long tracking job,and find a spoiled deer or even worse have the shot only wound him.I know I did the right thing by nottakingthe low percentageshotbut that would have been my first deer after many years of hunting.That encounter is enough to keep me excited about my next trip to the woods, which unfortunately in the Peoples Republic Of Maine is not today as we are not allowed to hunt on Sundays.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Its not easy to do the right thing

You did the right thing but it is hard to refrain when caught in the moment...Hopefully you will be rewarded with a bigger one. Good things come to those who wait.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

I guarantee you would have felt a lot worse if you would have made a bad shot. You did the right thing.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Tree limbs = deflections = poor hits = tracking jobs lasting sometimes days = No friggin fun for you or the deer. He'll be back.= GOOD CHOICE!!!