Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Good Morning

Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default A Good Morning

Well I sat in my stand for the first time this year. I waited to get in to this stand for a while, because we are pretty sure there are 4 mature bucks in about 300 acres. So I went out this morning, 30 degrees, 10mph wind, just a good morning. By 8:15 saw a very nice buck but he was on the run. I'm kind of confused as to why. He was running somewhat toward me at a diagnal but not as he was spooked but as he just wanted to get to the trees to bed. Anyways I grunted at him and stopped him at 75 yards. Waited, grunted again and he wanted nothing to do with it. Looked like a nice 130" buck and by the way he reacted I would say prolly not one of the mature ones in the area. I also saw 10 does, including a few that were pretty much right under the stand. I would love to get some deer meat...but I fear that shooting a deer in this small of an area will mess up hunting for a while. Anyways, any suggestions on what you think about the 130"er, was he frightened by the grunt because he's had his butt wooped a few times or was he just wanting to get to bed???
Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A Good Morning

Very likely you sounded more aggressive than he liked. I never worry too much about that, that means bigger bucks are in the area. What you could have done was follow up with a doe contact call letting him know there was something worth checking out over there.

A great hunt regardless, good luck and oh, welcome to the forums.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A Good Morning

I have never been a trophy hunter but as far as ruining hunting there I am not sure that it would. My buddy shot a doe from a ground blind one morning. Wandered around and tracked her for about 3 hours then the next morning I sat there and hit a doe and dropped her within 80 yards. The bows are really quiet so I dont think they will spook too much as long as you just get your deer and get outta there.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]