Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how long do you keep deer in the freezer >

how long do you keep deer in the freezer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how long do you keep deer in the freezer

Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how long do you keep deer in the freezer

vacuum packed over two years,,

just got back my pepperoni and thepepperoni i had done afew years back lastedwell over two years.steaks vacuumed, about over a year.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Boston Butt was fine. cut off maybe 5% and the rest is in the smoker right now.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: W9AR

1 year with butcher paper.
2 years with freezer zip lock bags.
3+ years with vacuum sealed bags.

My son just went on a camping trip and took along some vacuum sealed bear roast and said it tasted fine. It was from 2003.
W9AR,
You forgot:
4+ years give it to the in-laws

I usually only keep stuff around for 2yrs. I usually give last years stuff away when I start re-stocking the freezer in the fall.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Dominant Buck

The deciding factor is whether or not the meat gets exposure to freezing air, freezer burn and oxidation will spoil any meat. I give mine a coat of vegetable oil , then a tightly wrapped two layer blanket of plastic wrap, secured by a carefully applied layer of aluminum foil. I've pulled two year old venison from the freezer that didn't taste or feel any different than freshly cut meat. Prep is everything.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Bartender

I have some still from last Nov which will be turning into jerky this weekend.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

This is a good thread and I will take everyone's advice about wrapping it in plastic and butcher paper, etc. for this season. But last season I shot a deer and just put it in ziplock freezer bags without cutting out the bones, etc. I was consciencious about squeezing out as much air as possible, but didn't use butcher paper or plastic wrap. I just realized I didn't use it all (a ham and a shoulder are left). It's in a good upright freezer that hasn't been opened in probably 6 months. Do you think it's still good?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

vacum seal it and it will be good for 2 maybe 3 years
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

I usually keep it up to 2 years. Think I have about 10lbs of burger left from last season which will be gone in a month or so.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

I don't care how long it's "good" Any left of the "old' Gets tossed when the new arrives. So a year tops.
I donate a lot of venison.....so I see how much is left before the season starts.....and donate any excess at that time. Nothing will be in our freezer more than a year, this way (actually a few months less). It's all dated, too.
Yeah, I know there is no "law" mandating how long it'll keep. Obviously many have ate meat they've frozen by diferent methods more than a year later, for sure. For me its vacuum packing, and no longer than a year. I've got a lot of non-hunting family that love venison. Imagine that! I can't remember the last time I even had meat at the start of the next season.

I was consciencious about squeezing out as much air as possible, but didn't use butcher paper or plastic wrap.
Before I had a vacuum sealer, I would use a straw. Put it in one corner of the bag, zip it to the straw, suck as much air out as you can, pull the straw and zip it shut quick. Works pretty good, not perfect, but it'll get more air out than just trying to squeeze it.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to have the freezer empty before it gets filled again, even if I have to give it away to friends.