Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dontcha think it ought to be mandatory? >

Dontcha think it ought to be mandatory?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dontcha think it ought to be mandatory?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Dontcha think it ought to be mandatory?

I know some of you guys have your meat butchered (I do)....and I know some of you can probably take it there, un-skinned......Heck...some of you might can take it there, whole (not field dressed).

Dontcha think it ought to be mandatory to at least field dress and skin your deer, though???,.....lol

I swear itwould takesomething away from the experience, if I didnt get to do this.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:56 AM

Default RE: Dontcha think it ought to be mandatory?

my dad has always had a simple rule, you kill it, you clean it... literally ALL of the butchers around here won't take a deer thats not field dressed... most will take it with the hide still on... but they charge extra if you wanna keep the hide... no big deal i guess...

I'd agree on the field dressing part... but that's what i was raised with... i won't even help someone else clean a deer unless they are a newbie, then i'll only "supervise" the procedure... imho, like you, if you can't handle cleaning it, you shouldn't be out there hunting it...
Old 10-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL...anybody that doesn't field dress their deer (or at least have their wife do it, if they don't know how)unless under some highly unusual and infrequent circumstance is a complete idiot. This is basic stuff.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

i killed my 11th deer this past weekend. ive skinned tons of OTHER peoples deer, but never my own. he was the first one i skinned of my own. only reason i did it was because the temps were boarderline. we were going to skin and quarter it and throw it in the fridge, but once the hide was off, he was cold and the weather got alot colder.

dad used to do it ALL himself. but got out of it before i started hunting. he loves his smoked meats and sausage and all that..says its easier to have it done than do it ourselves. just the way i was taught.

down the road i really see myself doing it all myself. but right now, dad wants his sausage and kilbasa! lol...
Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends..at camp we have/can do it ourself. At home..nah don't want the mess at home. My butcher is right up the road he only does it for a few select people and he is by far the best!

Of course we field dress them.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hell my doe I brought home, other than Matt gutting it (THANK YOU Matt), I hung her up, skinned her, quartered her, deboned her, freezer bagged her and she's in the freezer waiting for my buck and then off to the butcher for bologna.

You know it's good Jeff. I'll be sure to have some thawed when you come up next week. Between you, Lisa, Matt, Kurt, Jenny and I we'll eat it up.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 AM

I have never skinned a deer. I have feild dressed my own deer since my first & I have done buddys deer. Definatly something I hope to learn once I get my next deer
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I would be shocked if a butcher even took one that wasn't gutted. Talk about unsanitary! Plus, if I gut it myself, I at least know what happened in there, ie: popping gut bag, bladder, anything like that, which doesn't usually happen, but at least I know if it does.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Raise your hand if GMMAT has too much time on his hands[8D] lol. Seriously, I skin, quarter, and usually debone, my deer and cut , wrap, and vacumm seal my own so I am ready to go. I try to keep it pretty self sufficient.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Kidd....in another thread people were taling about how they had to take it (what condition) to have it butchered. That's what got me to thinking about this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.