Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer snorted while rigging tree stand........ >

Deer snorted while rigging tree stand........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer snorted while rigging tree stand........

Old 10-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer snorted while rigging tree stand........

OK, I was walking to one of my trees in the dark yesterday at about 0615 with my headlight on. As I approached my tree, I heard the classic snorting of a deer. I thought to myself, "This morning is now ruined", and that turned out to be the case. To add insult to injury, the deer didn't leave the area, but hung around and snorted even after I had climbed up 18 ft. Unfortunately, because there was no visible moon, I couldn't get any visual, but man I was hoping that it would be around when I could see it. One thing I hate about morning hunts is that this has happened on my last 2 out of 3 morning hunts.

What do you think? I know it's unavoidable, I'm not going to use this tree for the rest of the season because I'm skylighted in it, I come to realize.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:57 AM

Default RE: Deer snorted while rigging tree stand........

Man i think you need to get into that stand before that buck is there. But you not hunting it anymroe so whatever.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I had one blow at me on Friday morning about 5:30. I shot a doe at 8:15.

Unless that's the only deer in your woods....I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Here's what I do...and it's wortha a try, huh?

BLOW BACK! When I get blown at going in OR out......I just blow back (in my best deer-speak). They don't have one clue "what" you are in the dark....and they might feel a bit more at ease if they think it's another deer.

WHO KNOWS?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I had one blow at me on Friday morning about 5:30. I shot a doe at 8:15.

Unless that's the only deer in your woods....I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Here's what I do...and it's wortha a try, huh?

BLOW BACK! When I get blown at going in OR out......I just blow back (in my best deer-speak). They don't have one clue "what" you are in the dark....and they might feel a bit more at ease if they think it's another deer.

WHO KNOWS?

That my friend is good advise, it's exactly what I do.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did that exact thing this morning. busted 2 deer and as soon as they started to take off i snorted at them. they stopped and slowly walked off. gave me enough time to get in my stand and as soon as i did i had 2 does walk in.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wish I read this two days ago [:-].

I was walking to my stand yesterday morning and heard a deer blow and jumped out of the hedgerow into the field I was walking in. I mouth grunted at "it" (didn't know what it was at the time) and it stopped dead in it's tracks about 50 yards away and snapped it's head around.

Well "it" turned out to be an absolute monster buck [:@][:'(]. Then he turns around and starts walking back at me!! I creeped down to one knee and tried to keep my eyes on him in the darkish sky. I lost sight of him for about a minute. I picked him up again and he was on my right about 20 yards away walking right at me with a "get off my turf" kind of look[8D]. So I stood back up to prepare for battle lol. Wasn't sure if I was going to Kung Fu his butt or nock an arrow or what, but I wasn't going to just sit there. Then he had enough, blew again andtook off running the opposite direction. I hope I didnt' freak him out enough to never see him again.

I'm going to blow back next time instead of grunt.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

last year during shotgun season i was bored in my stand so i decided to hop out and stalk a little bit (novice stalker,, mainly an excuse to stretch my legs) and not paying attention i walked on a 10 point monster... he stood up (bedded down) and squared up to me and just stared at me and then snorted and started to run away... i belched out a dominant buck call and it stopped him enough to get a bead on him.. no shot b/c it was in heavily wooded thickets and brush..but it was cool to see how communication can work to get the animal to do what you want.. in a sense...

i heard a blow this morning but didnt know where i came from,, i shut my light off and stood extremly still.. 3 doe walked under me 2 hours later...
Old 10-14-2007, 09:10 AM

I gotta agree with blowing back. I did it just yesterday morning, blew and then kept walking like I thought a deer walks. the deer went on its way and I saw six from my stand an hour later. 3 bucks and 3 does.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been practicing since I've read this thread. Could somebody explain the proper girations, movements, breathing etc... to achieve the desire sound?[8D]
Old 10-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

its no big deal if they blow. Ive seen deer blow at people,cats,dogs,other deer, and even coons. So if deer blow then it doesent mean that every deer in the area heads out.

Quick Reply: Deer snorted while rigging tree stand........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.