Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Reading while on stand >

Reading while on stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Reading while on stand

Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Reading while on stand

How many of you guys read while on stand? A buddy of mine does it all of the time but, I have never gotten into for the fact that a deer could be right on top of me and I not even know. So then I have to put down the reading material find my bow aim get into position and shoot. Seems like a lot of extra movement to me. If you do read on stand how to do gathering everything in a split second to pull off a shot.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reading while on stand

I can't read. I can only write.

I would rather just see what is going on, even if it is "nothing", in the woods.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

It might be easier to stay on stand during an all day sit if you had a good book.

As for having them sneak up on you, that shouldn't happen after the leaves fall, unless it is wet, and then you can't read a book anyway.

Maybe a wireless laptop instead, you can post up updates to the forum while you hunt.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I just tried it last weekend and I can't do it. I see alot of deer just for moments and can't afford to be reading. If the wind is blowing you won't hear them comeing. I feel it could cost me a good buck!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

As for having them sneak up on you, that shouldn't happen after the leaves fall, unless it is wet,
..... unless you're as hard of hearing as I am. I can watch a deer run through foot deep hickory leaves at 40 yards and hear nothing. I couldn't read. I have to sit there and try and relax and slowly swivel my head. I play a game, shift eyes as far as I can looking for sudden movement. Then I slowly back track them in the other direction looking for ears, nose, back lines, legs etc. I then slowly shift them all the way as far as I can and slowly turn my head to look straight at the furthest point. Then I begin the shift the eyes from far left to right etc over and over until I can see no further or my neck twist off.[&:] At that point I might chance a look to the rear and slowly reverse my head to the far other direction and start it all again. I never hear a deer first.... I see them, hopefully before they see Mr Bobblehead in the tree.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't read on stand but 1 of the guys I hunt with does and he is the only 1 coming back at night that didn't see anything???Deer are too sneeky must pay attention and the fact that I love being out there nature is my book.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read on stand, but not all the time. If conditions are very quiet I never read. I will also read in spurts, if nothing is happening in the woods I tend to get bored, call it side effect of stressfull work, i just can't relax and just sit there all the time. When I get fidgety, I will read a chapter, then stop. I also look around every page or couple of paragraphs.

Have deer snuck by me while reading? Don't know

I have shot several while reading. Its a simple matter to either drop the book into my pack on teh side of the tree, or put it on the stand seat as I stand up.

It allows me to stay longer and fidget less during fidgeting times.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: densfbs

How many of you guys read while on stand? A buddy of mine does it all of the time but, I have never gotten into for the fact that a deer could be right on top of me and I not even know. So then I have to put down the reading material find my bow aim get into position and shoot. Seems like a lot of extra movement to me. If you do read on stand how to do gathering everything in a split second to pull off a shot.
Option #1 When bow hunting I have learned that anything you have to do in a hurry usually does not work.

Your kill zone is usually 20yds deep (10-30 yds).

A feeding deer takes a WHILE to cover that distance - Plenty of time to slowly stand up and slowly draw the bow back and carefully take aim and gradually take up the tension on the release to make a clean harvest.

OR

Option #2 OH POOP : There is a deer ,where did he come from?, I have got to jump up RIGHT NOW (oops, I knocked my hat over my eyes), hurry,hurry- pull the bow back - oops the arrow fell off the rest(carefully use your index finger to put it back on), OH NO he heard the arrow fall off the rest, he is going to run!!!, Hurry aim at him, How far is he?, His tail is twitching he is going to run!!!!!!!!!!, OH NO which pin do I use ?, Screw it, I see brown in the sight ring Quick ---YANK the trigger.

Not to bad a shot - I saw it go in right behind the shoulder

Well maybe it was a little further back than I thought.

Good thing I was using Slick Tricks they kill like magic !

Hmmmm , Where is my arrow, it must be here some where.

Heck with it, I saw the arrow hit I KNOW it must have gone through the ribs and is stuck behind the opposite shoulder - DOUBLE LUNGER-

Well this shouldn't take long it has got to have been 30 minutes (CUZ I am in a hurry is seems like 30 but 10 is closer to it) AND I am hungry I wonder what mom has for supper?

Lets see he ran over that way -

Three hundred yards and still no blood (I knew I shouldn't have listened to those Butt Holes over at Archery talk.com, MAGIC Slick Tricks my ass.

Well it has been 10 minutes, I have throughly searched 300 yds of the toughest terrain in the area and it is getting dark, no blood and I need some help, I know I saw that arrow go in right behind the shoulder.

"Hey MOM, Whats for supper?"

"Did I get one ?

"Yea, I Watched the arrow go in right behind the shoulder"

"After I eat I am going to get some help and go get him."

"Boy Mom that was really great"

Pitter Patter of bare feet going down the hallway.

www.archerytalk.com {ENTER}

Subject: What went wrong ? {ENTER}

I was in my favorite tree stand and this huge 8 point came walking by.

I took a deep breath and squeezed off a shot (First animal with my new ****)

I watched the arrow go right behind his shoulder

AND GUESS WHAT

NO blood.....................................

When I get up in the tree stand I don't get settled in and get started on the New York Times.

I will sit still and hunt as hard and as long as I can, then, lets face it It gets a little boring.

By this time the sun is up, the leaves are crunchy and my stomach is growling.

Yep, 10 AM and time for a snack, 2 granola bars and an apple (Threw the core near the trail for a scent attractor), Need to pee into that damn bottle (I hate that thing,every time I use it, NO matter how much I shake my thing I always get a few drops running down my leg)

Alright lets read that book I brought, I have been doing this long enough that if I hear or see one I can go to option #1 instead of option# 2.

Boy, isn't experience GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

anyone know of a good hunting book maybe one that tells good stories about deer ppl have shot and the storys of how it all happend pm me i wanna read something good in stand if ima read it would help pass time
Old 10-12-2007, 05:36 PM

the best book to read on the stand is called:"A look at life from a deer stand" By Steve Chapman. Seriously, it's one of the best I've read

Quick Reply: Reading while on stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.