Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Reading while on stand >

Reading while on stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Reading while on stand

Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 PM

Default RE: Reading while on stand

I read when I am in the stand, but I am kind of like cptleo1. I get settled in for a few hours. My eyes start going goofy if I try to stare off into the distance for too long. Usually I try to bring something that I won't get to involved in.

As for a good book to read, I just finished "The Last Season". It's a non-fiction account of backcountry Ranger Randy Morgenson. He was a Ranger in the high Sierras who disappeared while on patrol. Excellent book, and has a lot of accounts of the wilderness.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gamespooker

the best book to read on the stand is called:"A look at life from a deer stand" By Steve Chapman. Seriously, it's one of the best I've read
I thought he was kidding.

So I googled it up - I'll be damned

"From the incredible rush of bagging "the big one" to standing in awe of God's magnificent creation, Steve Chapman captures the spirit of the hunt. In short chapters filled with excitement and humor, he takes You on his successful - and not-so-successful - forays into the heart of deer country. As you experience the joy of scouting a trophy buck, you'll discover how the skills necessary for great hunting can help you draw closer to the Lord."
Old 10-12-2007, 05:50 PM

I'm tellin ya, it's worth the purchase.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-12-2007, 06:34 PM

Gamespooker- Chapman has a follow up one called "Another look at life from a deerstand", as well as a lot of other books about hunting and spiritual things. I just read both a look at life and another look at life- I'm a fan of this guy now. They were good books
Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 PM

that's good to know. I'm gonna order it tonight. Do you know of any others that write about the same topics?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:42 PM

I read while on stand every year. I rarely head into the woods with the intent of leaving before nightfall - unless of course I tag an animal. I have a hard time sitting still for long periods of time and reading definitely helps me not to fidget.

As to having deer sneak by, the doe I shot two years ago came in while I was in the middle of one of my favorite S.E. Hinton novels. The video I got of three young bucks sparring several years back was taken after I had just finished a paragraph in a book that was required for school. I love to be in God's creation, but I don't have the patience necessary to enjoy it for 10+ hours straight.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:44 PM

go to his website: www.steveandanniechapman.com