Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA antler restrictions need changed!! >

PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Default PA antler restrictions need changed!!

im a believer in the antler restrictions pa has adopted in the last few years. the law is 4 tines no less then 1 inch on one side. im starting to see a problem now though. no doubt i have seen more deer, bucks especially since the law came into effect, however i have also seen more and more large 6 points, old deer with bad genetics, and such. a lot of people are seeing the same type of stuff where they hunt, one guy told me that he had seen a 3 1/2 year old six point with a massive body, and a 18-19" spread. but he couldnt shoot it and instead he shot a basket rack 8 point (i'd say 1 1/2 years old.) so now the bad gene buck is able to spread his seed. what do other states do to get around this issue?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Good point - I never thought of that scenario.

But how would you fix this problem? If you were the DNR and could re-write the rule, how would you word it?

Maybe you require that all bucks must either have 4 points on one side, OR be at least "past the ears". That way you could still shoot a mature 6 point as long as it has a good spread.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

a 3 1/2 year old six point with a massive body, and a 18-19" spread
He can spread his bad genetics around me anytime he pleases!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've still yet to see a BIG non-legal deer. I guess there are a few, but I've yet to see one.

Not much you can do except hope a kid gets it. I don;t feel the situation arises enough to warrant a rule change.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

your understanding of the alw is incorrect.. the 4 on one side is not for the whole state of pa, infact most places are governed under the rule of 3 on one side.. you just happen to be ina spot that dictates the 4 on one side rule, i feel bad for ya..
Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 AM

i understand the law and i know that in most places in pa the restriction is only 3 on one side. but no matter how you slice it a 3 1/2 year old six point is bad genetics!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:56 AM

i guess what i would try to do is put some exception in. maybe 14" spread min. or 4 on one side (or 3 in those areas) do any other states have a law like that?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: nwpahntr

i understand the law and i know that in most places in pa the restriction is only 3 on one side. but no matter how you slice it a 3 1/2 year old six point is bad genetics!
Sorry but without aging deer it is hard to say. The average hunter can not tell by sight alone, me included.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you to a point (very small point). You are right about the 6 points that never get killed because they are not legal in an 4-to-a-side county. Since they started the 4 pts. to a side in my county (Greene) we are seeing more deer and harvesting nice deer. Look what has happened to our neighboring state of West Virginia, their hunting is pathetic because of no restrictions and slaughtering all the does and shooting anything that has horns. I do think some counties in PA that do have the 4points to a side should be dropped to 3 points to a side, but only a few.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nwpahntr

i guess what i would try to do is put some exception in. maybe 14" spread min. or 4 on one side (or 3 in those areas) do any other states have a law like that?
West Virginia has tried that 14" crap in certain places and hunters are killing deer thats spread is 9" or 10" and leaving the deer lay. We don't need to carry a tape measure when we're hunting.

Quick Reply: PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.