Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My Western New York Adventure! >

My Western New York Adventure!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Western New York Adventure!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:48 AM

Default My Western New York Adventure!

Hello everybody...I'm Anthony. This is going to be my thread for my 2007 Archery Bowhunting adventure here in Western New York. I've Lived in Western New York for about 5 years now...and have hunting all but one of those years (the first one because i had no idea what was going on =). ) Throughout this thread I will be posting things that I know will work to my advantage...and new things i will be trying for the first time.
This year my girlfriend will be joining me for the first time...and i will be documenting this as well. She is very excited. I joined her in taking the hunter safety courses not only for the gun course, but also the bow course (both are required if she wants to hunt with bow). I've had my course requirments met for about 10 years now...and like ive said before have hunted all of them except one.
So....What is tommorow???? It is OPENING DAY!!! Both me and my girlfriend are really excited for whats to come this year. She is hoping for the monster we'v ebeen seeing on the 70 acre parcel we hunt being my house.

Pictures and Updates comming tonight.

-Anthony
Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 AM

Default RE: My Western New York Adventure!

Good luck fellow WNY'er!! I will also be heading out tomorrow and sunday for sure but might take a quick break for some salmon fishing in olcott. There are a few of us from the area and are making plans to meet up and trade some hunting land. Lets hope for the big boys, keep us updated!!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Awesome definatly interested in getting together and having a nice hunt with all my fellow new yorkers. You keep me posted as well....pics will be comming tommorow after opening morning of all my set ups. Will be setting up a YouTube account as well for all the wonderful filming i will be doing this year.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

oh man i cant wait. i was a little late in buying my tags this year (bought them today) so no DMPs for me. but oh well i dont shoot that many deer anyway.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chronic huh? Try not to burn the tree down tomorrow ok? [8D]
Old 10-12-2007, 01:26 PM

Hey what part of WNY is it any where near Alden?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

... OK...
Old 10-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Hey good luck chronic, were going to need it where are you in new york man? im in springville but i do hunt near bolivar its good to have another wny'er in here You better be a Sabres fan!!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:24 PM

Good Luck to all of the New York Bowhunters this weekend!! Let's post pictures of all of the deer we smoke this weekend! (I hope)
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 AM

DEER on the ground!

With hardly any sleep due to the fact I was so excited to get out in the woods with my buddies and my girlfriend....it was time to wake up. 5:00 came quickly and off i went to go get my buddy pat. The morning seemed promising...cold and quiet. After picking him up we headed to the local gas station to get coffee and donuts (a tradition of ours on opening morning). We quickly got into the car after chatting with some other hunters and headed to my house to hunt the 70 acre field/parcel of land behind my house. We arrived home and my girl arrived soon after. We got all gear up and we headed into the field. Pat was the first to leave going unto a trail that lead into the woods pretty much overlookin this field. He got all set up and i got my Girlfriend into the tree as well. I climbed up my treestand about 130 yards from her stand directly south of her...and we were all ready to go. 30 minutes into the set (about 6:50)...I saw 2 babies and a momma walking directly behind me going north to my girls stand...i knew they were going to walk right in front of her. Then nothing....for awhile until I saw five more come from the exact same area about an hour later. They all walked straight in front of my girlfriend....but she didnt want to shoot because she would feel bad about shoointg a baby (haha). Nine thirty came around and we all got out of the area unscathed....and for pat...he didnt see chit (hah). My girlfriend had a great time for her first hunt...and im sure glad she wasnt bored to death.

She had to go to work....so me and my buddy Pat set out on a mission to find a good location in some state land were we always see deer. Talk about thick...thisarea is thick with briar and thorny things that piss me off. Lots of oaktrees.We set offwithtreestand connected to our back like wewereoff on the first day of school...trying to find out classroom. It was real early still for theafternoon about 1 pm (we had gotten lunch). We reached a spot that looked like it hadnt seen a hunter in years...beatenpaths all over the place. The area isenclosed....one side a road....the other side amarsh/swamp. The deer love running close to the swamp in the evenings and go out into the big field late to feed (since this field isnt huntable....that damn farmer is stuborn.) We found the suitable treeand got up there about 2:30...the farthest ive ever beenin a tree about 30 ft up.
We sit and we wait....we wait and we sit....did i forget to mention that Pat was filming...i think i did. But anyways....we saw a hawk land about 5 foot away from us and got some good footage of that. After playing tetris and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07' on my phone for about 3 hours...pat leans over and whispers...."if anythings gonna happen its going to happen within the next 30 minutes..." and as soon as he was done with that sentence he says...."BUCK....4 PT. RIGHT THERE..." Me being my dumb self my heart started racing and I didnt even grab my bow...i know i wasnt going to shoot a 4 pt so it didnt really matter. I didnt see the deer at first...pat could do to the fact that he was higher than me...but i could see him filming it so i knew he was close. I heard the foot stomps and out comes this nice little 6 pt...thats what he ended up being (he had brow tines Pat didnt see). We watched him for about 10-15 minutes as he made his way through the cover. After he left we turned around (the deer was behind us)...and we heard a snort and deer flea everywhere....i dont think it was us...but something...cause they all stuck around. After looking around for about 3 minutes i spot a huge doe bedded down right underneath us...and i pointed to pat to start filming. The doe got up and started heading to a spot that was a perfect shot for pat...but his stand wasnt high enough so it was in my way. Luckily...the doe came right underneath us about 3 yards from the tree. I pulled my bow to full draw and as i did...it hit a button/snap on my coat. The deer sniffed the air and looked up directly at us...and thats when i let the arrow fly. THWAT! the arrow hit her right in her neck/spine and dropped her. I knocked another arrow and drew back again to put a finishing shot in her...but as she was thrashing..i missed and hit her extremly low....no meat damage more of a flesh wound. I had one more arrow with a broadhead so i Knew i had to make this one count. I took off my hat and my jacket because i knew the deer wasnt going anywhere. I steadied my aim...and made a beutiful shot right in the heart. We sat there and watch her die...which was kind of sad because she was looking right up at us as she layed there on her side. She expired quickly and we climbed down the tree. What a hunt...and what a big doe...took both me and pat to drag her out of that nasty brian crap. Heres some pictures....one of me standing in my stand in the morning..and one of the deer. Enjoy.

Stay Posted...My big ten pt. is commin soon i know it. Also check back the video will be on youtube tonight i will post the link when i get home from my job interview at The Sharper Image =)

Quick Reply: My Western New York Adventure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.