Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 your state's/area's harvested buck:doe >

your state's/area's harvested buck:doe

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

your state's/area's harvested buck:doe

Old 10-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default your state's/area's harvested buck:doe

I read an article yesterday covering the harvest results from last year in Ohio. The DNR was really excited because the increased % of does tagged last year compared to bucks. They bragged that in one county"does accounted for almost half of the deer taken" (the number for that county was around 3700 does out of 7600 deer tagged). I was surprized that in a state that allows up to 3 deer taken per hunter and only 1 buck per hunter, that the total numer of does taken was so significantly lower than bucks. No wonder they are allowing up to 5 does this year and still only 1 buck.

Anyway, I was interested if anyone knows of any similar data for there state or even local area. Anyone in a 2 buck state? I would really be interested to know those numbers.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: your state's/area's harvested buck:doe

A quick trip to the PGC website and I looked up 1998 data compared to 2005. Back in 98 we had a 3 day doe season, no antler restrictions, and much fewer doe tags allotted. Most of the counties were near 1:1 bucks:does, with a lean towards slightly more does taken overall. However many counties did take more bucks.
2005 data after the sweeping changes in PA, showed every unit with more does than bucks taken. Many units pretty close to 2:1 doe:buck harvest, and a few nearing 3:1.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year during shotgun season we took 36 deer in our group and only 5 of them were bucks. Of course they were all pretty decent bucks but the farmers we hunt on really want us to thin the herd and we are more than happy to help them out.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 AM

i would be real interested to see WI's numbers from last year, with EAB and what not. somethings gotta be done, there are soooo many does its just crazy.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maryland 2006-2007

Total - 91930
Antlerless- 58816
Antlered - 33114

Bow

Total - 21991
Antlerless - 13360
Antlered - 8631

Editted to add that these numbers include Sika deer (1779) also.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

You can find the info for Indiana here: Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources

We no longer have a state bag limit on antlerless, bonus permits are issued based on an individual county's herd. Some allow as many as 12 bonus antlerless, the first for $24, the rest at $15, and they still can't get the herd under control because of trophy hunting mentality. I consider it highly probable that very soon Indiana hunters could be faced with a choice of either an Earn-a-buck program statewide, or the specter of a "no bucks at all" season for several years if this isn't reversed.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Last year Oklahoma was a 3 buck state and I have the numbers from the DNR right here.

Total deer taken in 2006: 111,979

Total bucks: 67,741

Total does: 44,238

Now here is the data from the county where I hunt

Total deer: 1,484

Total bucks: 922

Total does: 477

This includes all seasons: Archery, Gun and Muzzleloader

I also found some other interesting statistics. Seems as though the average Adult buck (2.5 or older) weighed in at 110 lbs in my region. The region with the largest average weight was 149 lbs. The buck I killed was 134 lbs. so by region standards he was a little bit heavier than other mature deer taken in 2006.

The entire state of Oklahoma only had 9 bucks entered in the B&C typical category, and 7 entered in the B&C non-typical category.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is on about a 500 acre farm. Through all the seasons last year 96 deer where killed off that farm by all of us and only 6 were bucks, all quality management bucks. Mostly mature does were taken but some fawns as well. There is such a deer problem the farmer cant deal with em. 1/4 mile down the road on neighbors farm45 deer taken of which 4 were bucks and quality managemnet bucks as welland most all big does. Between all the neighbors in that 1-1.5 mile radius there was an estimated 175 deer taken last year of which 15 or so were bucks. Then up the road the other way not included in the 1.5 square mile the famer has crop damage controll so people can shoot does all year round and I don't know how many they shoot a year but I know its quite a few. Every year the deer just come back like normal after we've tried shooting more and more every year. Last year on the 500 acre farm killed 75ish year before 60ish, before 70ish, before 55is.....Its like these deer have genes to breed like rabbits. haha. We've shot about 15 on the year so far and dont know what the neighbors are shootin yet.All of us can go sit in a stand every night and see 20-30 deercome outin the field and usually get a shot at atleast one mature doe if we want too. So just takin a wild guess here but I'm bettin this season in this 1-1.5 square miles there are about 400-500 deer or better based on shining and how many we see in the fields hunting. WI extra doe tags are only $2 and we get 2 does with or archery tag and 1 with our gun tag which makes it great for these areas that need herd control because if it costalot per tag I dont thinkwe'd be killin so many deer and thenthe farmer would have some major problems.WCL
Old 10-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: *JB*

Last year Oklahoma was a 3 buck state and I have the numbers from the DNR right here.

To add to this, this was changed to 2 bucks, 4 does this year and the doe days have been increased to help balance our ratio.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM

I should have mentioned that we are going to a 2 buck limit this year. I know my area has way too many does, but 1 hunter can't fix the problem without help from others. Last year I killed 3 does and 1 buck. This season I may go 4 does and no bucks, unless I see one I can't pass up.

The land I hunt is only hunted by one other person. He believes that the more does the better. I have tried my best to explain to him what a good herd and ratio is, but he just doesn't seem to get it. I don't have exact numbers, but I would guess our B2D ratio is about 1:8 Seems as though people in my area have the mentality that if it doesn't have antlers it isn't worth shooting. I let 2 really nice deer walk during gun season last year, in hopes that I would have a chance at them this season with my bow. I have yet to see either of them, so I don't know if they made it or not. However, with the deer killed during rifle season and on the roads, there is no guarantee that you will ever see any deer again that you let walk.

Quick Reply: your state's/area's harvested buck:doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.