HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - your state's/area's harvested buck:doe
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
*JB*

Default RE: your state's/area's harvested buck:doe

I should have mentioned that we are going to a 2 buck limit this year. I know my area has way too many does, but 1 hunter can't fix the problem without help from others. Last year I killed 3 does and 1 buck. This season I may go 4 does and no bucks, unless I see one I can't pass up.

The land I hunt is only hunted by one other person. He believes that the more does the better. I have tried my best to explain to him what a good herd and ratio is, but he just doesn't seem to get it. I don't have exact numbers, but I would guess our B2D ratio is about 1:8 Seems as though people in my area have the mentality that if it doesn't have antlers it isn't worth shooting. I let 2 really nice deer walk during gun season last year, in hopes that I would have a chance at them this season with my bow. I have yet to see either of them, so I don't know if they made it or not. However, with the deer killed during rifle season and on the roads, there is no guarantee that you will ever see any deer again that you let walk.