Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Oh dear....snakes? >

Oh dear....snakes?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oh dear....snakes?

Old 10-09-2007, 03:08 PM

Default RE: Oh dear....snakes?

man, all this don't kill snakes talk is nonsense. i do wear snakeboots in GA depending on what area i'm hunting, and the time of year. last year i killed a 5 ft timber rattler about three feet from my ten year old sister. for all you "don't kill the snakes guys" timber rattlers don't usually rattle, as this one did not. don't tell me their not dangerous. they are out of control on our property and need to be dealt with. you can't just think about yourself in this situation. you may have the know how and brains to steer clear of these things, but think about someone else in the woods.....perhaps someones ten year old sister.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Killing snakes for no reason seems a waste and a disrepect to the woods we hunt in. Your chances are alot better to fall out of your tree than getting snake bit. Its sorta like killing birds of prey cause they might get a rabbit or two. I am surprized it is even legal. Not listed in my game book as something you can kill.
Odd how terrified people are of snakes. Walking around them is quicker and easier. We live in such danger free strerile woods a little danger adds to the excitement. Did you eat him? that could be a justification.

I guess killing them illegally is called poaching.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

Your chances are alot better to fall out of your tree than getting snake bit.
Thats why we wear safety gear in the tree stand. Cant expect a little kid to wear snake boots any time they go out to play. Snakes out in the woods might leave them... snakes by the house defenitely have to go.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I talked to an old forrester one time and asked him if he was scared of snakes. He said no, only ground hornet nests.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM
bigcountry

Kill em all. I will be happier. Chris, don't let em get to ya. Alot of Holier than you people on this forum.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not "Holier" believe me but I think it is the responsibility of all woodsman to take care of the woods. That includes poisoness snakes. Again, that is my opinion. Here in Northern Missouri we don't have to worry as much about poisoness snakes so I have a different opinion. I think the the "only good snake is a dead snake" theory is about as uneducated a statement as they come.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to kill a snake and it's legal fine. If you kill them illegally than it's NO different than the guy who shoots a hawk I would bet a heck of a lot more people are killed by bees though.
Never beenbitten by a snake put iv'e stepped thru a ground hornets nest and that willget you running.
I looked at the thread and saw no one even slightly holy. Just folks voicing their opinions.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

If possible to go around then do that but in most cases, you dont see the snake and walk up on it and by then its too late because any movement might make it strike. I found this article online and thought, "How would you feel about snakes if this was your loved one?"

http://www.kpho.com/news/14300378/detail.html
Old 10-09-2007, 06:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: eversboys

If possible to go around then do that but in most cases, you dont see the snake and walk up on it and by then its too late because any movement might make it strike. I found this article online and thought, "How would you feel about snakes if this was your loved one?"

http://www.kpho.com/news/14300378/detail.html
Exactly, after you seen what can happen to a family member, it changes your outlook. I have seen an uncle with his leg looking like a ripe watermelon getting ready to bust, and him explaining it was like fire going thru his vains. I seen a great grandmother that couldn't talk correctly, and had limited use of her arm being bit by a copperhead in her basement. I bet if one of these folks 5 year old got bitten, I bet they would have a different viewpoint.

I can understand peoples veiwpoint living north of Ky, Va, as its an extreme rarity, and they don't understand.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have no problem at all in putting down a poisonous snake myself. I killed a timber rattler, called a canebreak in SC, that was going underneath my wife's car and I just happened to catch the end of it while walking to get the mail. It wouldn't have been 15 minutes that her and my son would have walked by with two hopping, jumping dogs. I could have allowed it to leave without issue, but two problems were presented. It was under the car they had to walk by and if I'd let it go we'd have no idea where it went. I'm not taking chances with my family, if they're poisonous they've got to go. We did catch a ratsnake in the house not too long ago, he got tossed out in the front yard by the tail. I have no problems with non-venomous, but it they're poisonous they're getting the business end of the shotgun.

Quick Reply: Oh dear....snakes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.