Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting Contest - Do you ever lower your standards? >

Bowhunting Contest - Do you ever lower your standards?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Contest - Do you ever lower your standards?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting Contest - Do you ever lower your standards?

Im pretty much set in my ways, if they get a pass at the beginning of season, Ill let them pass at the end of season also.
Where I live now a 120 class 8 pt is a great buck (GERM can tell ya, his family has a cottage not far from me) Yet would not give one a second thought if I still lived in Kansas.
So where Im hunting also plays a roll on what I turn an arrow loose on.

Sure would like to see a picture of you on our team board with one of those MD, 150+ bone heads I will be heading your way Monday the 15th to the 26th to give it a try!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a picture of 140'' buck near Glennie, when I get it from the cabin I well send to you.

Biggest deer my Grandpa has seen in ever, he's been hunting the area since 1942. Hell if I see a 100'' deer in NLP I am shooting it
Old 10-09-2007, 09:57 AM

I dont shoot any youngins but still want to fill the freezer up by the end of the year
Old 10-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not in the contest but if I were I'd say "screw the contest" and shoot whatever makes you happy.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Germ, I gave an example. I hunted 5 states last year. I have more than one friend.... honest.[8D][8D] I have so many invitations to hunt I can't make them all. I decided the other night to forgo Indiana and Ohio this year because mySquadron Commanderfrom Vietnam called and ordered me to a reunion in DC on Veterans Day. His words, "You will be there Captain". So I'll be there. That's the way it is. If he told me to kill you.... well I'd make it quick and ethical.[8D] I have friends in just about everywhere that I've actually met face to face and spent a lot of time with. Not these psychos from the internet. LOL
Old 10-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Captain Miller, hope you have a great time at the reunion, and try to stay out of trouble while in DC
Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Bartender

Pumpkin, WI
ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: davidmil

They change with location and local land rules. But other than that, when I decide on what to do I do it. I've eaten tags, like early bow season this year, but I decided that going in. Or tags I wasted two years in a row in Ohio with nice8 point bucks and multiple bucks in bow range the last evening of the hunt. One standard I don't change no matter where I'm hunting..... Nothing with Spots> LOL
You're nopt even in the contest, LOL

Contest is for fun and to me people, and I love it. I now have friends all over the USA. In 2005 I knew a few people out of my state now I have many friends in

KS
Iowa
MD
IN
ILL
PA
TX
OK
Canada
Idaho
WY
CO
MO
FL
Georgia
AL
MISS
NC
SC
VA
WVA
KY
TENN
NY
NJ
Ark
New Mex
Ariz

I am sure I missed a few, but all of these friends are from contest.

So my standards are the same, but my friend list is not, it's waaaayyy bigger
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I will stick to my goals all the way through until the end. I've eaten quite a few tags over the years. Plenty of does tags to be had to fill the freezer. There are days though that 120 - 135 class buckslook good andare tempting to shoot.

Goals... 150 for 5pts or more. 135 plusfor 4 pts with the buck being 4.5 year old or older in all cases. Granted due to field judging errors on my part, ground shrinkage of 5 - 10 inches is allowed to cover my a$$.

Contest has no bearing on my hunting goals.

Tim
Old 10-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

That's one of the main reasons I don't join Big Buck Contest or any hunting contest. I don't want anything interfering with my "Fun". Never have, never will.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

That's one of the main reasons I don't join Big Buck Contest or any hunting contest. I don't want anything interfering with my "Fun". Never have, never will.
Fun is in the eye of the beholder. Its fun for me. I enjoy the comradery of becoming friends with new teamates every year, staying friends with old teamates, learning about different deer activity all over the country, enjoying the THRILL of others kills, trying to meet my goals, and of course the ribbing with everyone. It was fun shooting a Doe opening day and its beenmore fun grilling venison several days a week. Its been great sitting in a stand almost 20 days now, regardless of not taking a buck and not knowingif I will even get a shot at one. This year has been extremely challenging because of the heat and the lack of water on properties. Shooting my first buck of the season is a miniscule part of my hunting enjoyment, I hope the idea of you trying to get a contest buck isnt what interferes with your enjoyment Dave