Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Last day for me to mule deer hunt- Do I lower my standards/objective? >

Last day for me to mule deer hunt- Do I lower my standards/objective?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Last day for me to mule deer hunt- Do I lower my standards/objective?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Last day for me to mule deer hunt- Do I lower my standards/objective?

Tomorrow is the last day for Bow Only Mule Deer and this afternoon will be my last opportunity. The guy that owns the property where the mule deer are is a gun hunter so I won't have access to it when regular season opens up in about three weeks. My other properties are strictly Whitetails.

It is "buck only" and while I have seen several young bucks similar to the one below, I've been holding out for something a little bigger, well okay quite a bit bigger.

If given the opportunity, do I shoot a little guy like this or doI wait out till dark for something bigger knowing full well I will probably end this particular season eating tag soup?

I also included a few other pictures that I have taken while in my quest for a muley the past couple of weeks.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Last day for me to mule deer hunt- Do I lower my standards/objective?

Well thats for you to decide. I personally enjoy hunting and I leave my standards where they are. If I shoot a smaller buck, it's just that much less likely that I will see good ones next year. If you plan on hunting the property for years to come, I say let the little guys go, It will be worth it in the next years, when you see more mature deer.
Like i said though, it is up to you, if you are really wanting a mulie, then take one. Every hunter has a little different standards. Good luck, and if you do take one, show us some pictures.