Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

set up trouble

Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default set up trouble

ok i'm havin some reall trouble i'm set up on a awesome rub line back in some spoils and about 200yds. aways is freshly chopped corn about 2 days old. and new growth of alphalfa. but i'm only seeing like 1 or 2 bucks any ideas wat i might be doin rong. and if there is a nice rub line there do u htink there will b alot of rut activity in there.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Default RE: set up trouble

seems to me like putting a sentence togetherand spelling is what you are doing wrong......lol.......if you are in ohio there might only be a couple of bucks in that area....as far as the rub line...a rub line does not mean alot of rut activity will be happening there....lots of different bucks will rub the same tree and use the same rub line...i say just be patient and wait, there will be a nice buck soon or later come down that trail....as far as alot of rut activity, itwill be where the majority of the does are.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its kinda early to be hunting rub lines and stuff like that i think. At least i've never had any luck early in the year hunting. Your nicer bucks might be running through there at night too, the closer it gets to the rut the more bucks you should see!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use rub lines to let me know a buck is using the area and they can sometimes tell you direction of travel but I rarely will hunt a rub line unless I think it is a stagng area where some bucks are hanging out right before dark before going out into the cut corn or alfalfa fields to feed. Staging areas will be somewhere between the bedding areas and the feeding areas and will not have any pattern of direction for the rubs to be in but there will be a lot of them all around in one small area just off of a field or some type of feeding area. If you know where they're bedding and where they're feeding youmay want to get back a ways from the feeding areas and between the bedding areasbecause many times they won't get to the feeding areas until dark unless you can find a good active staging area. When they start rutting they will abandon all rub lines, scrapes and feeding patterns and you will have to hunt where the does are if you want to find the bucks.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

ok i think i get wat u guys r sayin. threre is a nice beddin area close about 100yd.s on behind me. i think i will just wait i out and c wat walks threw i have seen several nice bucks all year in the fields im close to! so mayb it will happen

Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

100 yds is probably as close to a bedding area as you should try to get and you will have to be very careful to only hunt that stand with a good wind blowing away from the bedding area. If you hunt that stand on a bad wind and it blows your scent into the bedding area you not only will be done for that hunt but with mature bucks you will most likely be done with any bucks using that bedding area for the rest of the season unless you get a chance at them during the rut when they throw caution to the wind.