Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 had 2 chances at big buck and blew it   TWICE >

had 2 chances at big buck and blew it TWICE

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

had 2 chances at big buck and blew it TWICE

Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 PM

Default had 2 chances at big buck and blew it TWICE

well i got permission to hunt this new spot near my house. its about 50acres that aint really never been hunted, i didnt have time to scout so i just walk back there with my stand and bow and take a quick look at the edge of the field where the landowner said he seen some bucks. i found a bunch of old rubs and a fresh one from this year. so i sit up about 30yd from the fresh rub and about 30min before dark 3 nice bucks walk right out and pass right by me. i shot the 2ed one. it was a 8pt about 17inchs but my bow hit my stand when i let the release go and i missed. the buck ran about 50yd then stoped and started walkin again. i was sick, then i hear another deer and i look and see a 10pt about 18-20inchs with about 7inch tines. he walks by at about 25yd, i make a noise to stop him, i shoot...then BAMM hit the treestand with the bow again when i pulled the release. i thought the string had broke. i made the mistake the first time, then made it again and the buck got away. they never snorted or seemed very spooked they just sorta ran..stoped..then walked off. i waited before they got away before i came down and looked for the arrow and found no blood or couse. guess ill be back tomarrow without a treestand with armrest to try it again.

another lession learned but still no big mountable buck on the wall after 5years of bowhuntin, but i guess im only 20yrs old so itll happen one day
Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: had 2 chances at big buck and blew it TWICE

What kind of treestand? I assume you have one of those high wrap around bars like the Summit?

Shame my friend, lesson learned right? It doesn't sound like you spooked them too bad. They probably didn't know what happened.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 PM

what are the chances that they will be back tomarrow?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:33 PM

its one of those stand similer to the summit. it faces away from the tree and has the armrests. i had to turn around and i guess the bow hit the armrest when i shot. ill be back with a stand without armrest and shooting rest tomarrow to try it again. the land owner says the deer are always just standing in the fields in daylight with the horses and are fairly use people being outside
Old 10-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man thats a TUFF ONE !!!!I feel for you brother. If you lower the rail/seat if that whats you have for your stand you should be all right. I started hunting with a 64" recurve and thats what I did and it worked out AOK. I just lower my rail/seat and try it out before you hit the woods again. It happens to best just learn from it!! I'm sure you did! Goodluck and be safe

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

If they didn't scent you, blow and go etc...if they didn't know they were being hunted they may very well be back tomorrow, if you didn't break their daily routine you might get another crack at them, excuse the pun...lol

I did that once, bounced the cam off of the bar of my Ol'man. Had to shoot at about 10 yards on a doe in the second season, fortunately I got her.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 PM

its a sick feelin when you wait up there for them to leave then come down and find no blood on the arrow.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bummer Man!