Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 gut shot deer - thoughts >

gut shot deer - thoughts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

gut shot deer - thoughts

Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gut shot deer - thoughts

fellas - I waited, I know I shouldn't have (explained later).

I wanted to know what you guys would do in a generic situation like that. Mine was a bit more difficult - seems there's always nuances about these situations. Here's a bit more info:

- the doe got up and ran when I got about 15 yards from her. She ran out of flashlight range and we both decided to leave her till morning.
- I didn't have my bow with me. It was 1/2 mile away in my truck.
- The grass she was laying in was very tall and would have made an archery shot extremely difficult if not impossible.
- i was on private/posted land that I didn't have explicit permission to be on. And, I didn't know which property I was on. I thought we were getting close to houses and we were chasing the deer towards the dog trainers house (20+ dogs)
- Because of the little amount of blood I was finding the last thing I wanted to do was to get her on her feet.

Why I took up the trail on a gut shot deer (yes Rob, I've read your post about what to do after the shot every year for the last 5-6years????):
- I didn't know it was gut shot until after I found blood, which wasnearly 3 hours after the shot. the deer was shot at 6:15. took up trail at about 8:00. Didn't find blood forever! I've shot 24 deer in 21 years of huntingand I've never had that much problems either finding blood or a dead deer.
- I didn't know the deer was quartering to (or the arrow deflected) until I found the deer the next morning. The entrance wound was a bit farther back then I thought and the exit wouned went out her back left leg. I was convinced I at least got liver, if not one lung.
- lots of rain was predicted for that night. It ended up raining almost all night and throughout the day on Sunday. Anyone in Minnesota can back meup on that one.
- The deer was not bleeding well at all. Even though I saw the arrow disappear into the deer I wasn't convinced there was an exit wound (doesn't make sense, I know - all I can say is my mind was playing tricks on me[&o]).
- If I waited until morning initially I would have been by myself, but had someone w/ me to help track at the time.

I think that's about it. Generally, I would agree w/ you all about taking the shot. I told my buddy that sometimes what's legal and what's ethical are two different things. But when that doe got up and ran we both decided to wait until morning.

It probably would have worked out better if I had gone back for my bow. She ended up running out of the weeds into a wooded area no more then 50 yards away where I probably could have gotten a shot. And, something had been eating at her during the night. I was able to salvage the front legs, most of the backstraps, and miscellaneous trim. If nothing else, I learned from this hunt.

thanks all for the input.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot her again if you have the opportunity.
Around here, you probably won't havea deer in the am by the time the dogs are done w/ her. If she is hurt bad enough that you could put another one in her... then do it.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

First off, if I had a known gut shot (did you know that by your arrow or arrow impact?), a "couple hours" as you said it IS NOT ENOUGH TIME to wait before you head out to look for a gut shot deer. You should have waited a minimum of 5 to 6 hours and 8 if feasible or overnight. The Rage does tremendous damage so perhaps time would be minimized however " a couple hours" wasn't it.

Now that being said, if you KNOW you can get close enough, I wouldn't hesitate to do just that and finish her. It's the right thing to do regardless of what the law says. And now for some interesting reading if you haven't ever read it: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2272257

Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

I would have defenitely shot. No need in making the deer suffer more than she already has.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

the best part is you found her and thats what matters most. also you learned alittle something, hearing it a hundred times wont help as much as being in the situation just once.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I make a bad shot then I wouldnt make thing worse by packing a weapon after dark. If your going to pack a bow after dark then you may as well pack a gun....sorry to go against the grain on this but thats the way I would do it.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wouldshoot her i do not think any co or game warden would give you a fine for that and besides who is going to tell them i hope you shot her
Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot her, you owe it to her.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been there done that and it sure hurts. Take her out!! Its the right thing to do! It happens [&o]

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't beat youself up on this one! I just read your post after my last post. It seems to me you did the right thing. Good Job and be safe!!

Hatchet Jack

Quick Reply: gut shot deer - thoughts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.