Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I Failed.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I Failed.

Today i went out hunting and at 740 a doe came into my shooting lane i drew and let one fly i was holding right behind the front shoulder i watched my lumenock and i heard my rage broadheads opening up before it even came close to the deer she dropped about a foot before the arrow ever touched her and when it did touch her it touched guts. NOTHING BUT GUTS. I feel like crap right now i went out and bought MX3's and threw my rages away, im SO bummed out right now, i cant believe that just happened. i feel as though i am a bad hunter for thismornings events we walked about 2500 yards down and back on different trails, checking brush piles and bedding areas, never did find my doe. Im so ashamed.

Ryan.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I Failed.

You HEARD the rage open in mid flight????????????

Amazing.

As far as the hit - did you try a deer tracking dog? A gut shot deer is very easy for them to track. The fluid released in quite pungent, and although humans can not see/smell it - dogs sure can!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:53 PM

i heard from a few people that those rages will open in mid flight...they end up putting the little rubber band on them.....i shoot those mx-3 they seem to fly pretty good for me
Old 09-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

...i heard my rage broadheads opening up before it even came close to the deer...
LOL! HUH??? [&:]
Old 09-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

im not making that one up it sounded like there was a 747 flying about 10 ft overhead when i heard it going i dont really feel like hunting anymore this season to be honest.

Ryan.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Don't be so quick to throw in the towel--A question if I can!!!

What quiver are you using???? Reason:::: You might have pushed the heads in to far and opened the head yourself!!

Did you by chance inspect the head before shooting???

Just questions!!!

David
Old 09-29-2007, 02:01 PM

Mech head failure=not your fault

I have never had a muzzy or stinger do that. Season just opened. Suck it up, go get some fixed heads and get out there. You weren't out there to do that deer any favors were you? Hell no go andhunt. Carry on.

I know a lot of guys that swear by them, no offense to the guys/gals that use mechanicals.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:34 PM

The only way you will fail is if you don't learn from your experiences in field ! Let me tell you now that things like this will happen time and time again so just don't expect to have a perfect hunt every time out.As a matter of fact, it's things like this that will make you a better bowhunter in the long run.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I definetly don't want to bust your chops, because you don't deserve it. Sometimes stuff happens that is either not your fault, or is just a personal mistake. Becoming a better hunter means learning from these experiences.

As far as a gut shot, how long did you wait? With guts or intestines, your best bet is to back out and come back SEVERAL (like 8) hours later and begin the search. 9 out of 10 times a gutshot animal will bed down and bleed to death not too far from where they were shot. They'll also head to the nearest water to bed down. Did you find any blood or anything?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with dwd

Quick Reply: I Failed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.