Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need a knife for fielddressing >

need a knife for fielddressing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need a knife for fielddressing

Old 09-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default need a knife for fielddressing

i need to get a goodknife but not to costly for fielddressing deer notsure what to get

should i getone with a gap hook for gutting or should i not

how big

and how good are the plastic gap hooks that have razor blades for the cutting
Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: need a knife for fielddressing

also should i get one that is fixed or folds
Old 09-27-2007, 08:48 AM

Last year I got a Gerber plastic gut hook with the razor like you described, and it worked slick.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 AM

Here is a great knife at Bass Pro. Gerber Folding with gut hook. Will hold great super sharp edge and you must have a gut hook tip now adays. Won't break the bank either. You might find it at local Academy Sports or Wal-Mart. If not get it here. About $35 Bucks.
GERBER FOLDING KNIFE
Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought an Outdoor Edge knife at Gander Mtn for 30 bucks. I have used it once already and am very happy with it. It has a small gut hook on the back tip and really works well for skinning too. I wanted something practical and not too big. If folds as well. Good quality steel and very sharp. It works good for me anyway.

http://www.outdooredge.com/product_detail.php?cat_ID=8&prod_ID=41

Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd avoid any knife that has a straight blade with integrated gut hook. Basically useless unless your gutting deer.

Take a look at the Buck Alpha Crosslock. I really like mine. It stays pretty sharp. My only complaint is that after a lengthy gut job it gets pretty messy because of all the nooks and crannies. If you can get past that it's a great knife.

Tom
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

It really depends on how good you are. I just using a little Gerber Gator folding pocket knife with a straight 3 inch blade. In experienced hands it's all you need. Takes longer to take off my outer shirt, watch and put on the rubber gloves than it does to field dress. It's just got to be sharp and you can do anything you want. It'll split briskets, debone, whatever.
http://www.tylertool.com/6149.html

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/tylertool_1968_271515523" />
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

I have the Alaskan Blade Trader set up. I sure like it. it has 3 different blades that interchange. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0022075516112a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=KERSHAW&N=4887& Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&N tt=KERSHAW&noImage=0

It is on sale at cabelas now also.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Boy you're gonna get a large variety of answers here. Personally I like a carbon steel blade. They seem to take an edge better and are easy to re-sharpen.

Personally, I also like a blade around 3". Folding or fixed doesn't matter much to me as long as it locks.

I also prefer a clip point.

My favorite knife was a PUMA that I used for years, it was 2.75" blade and was a folding lock. But I lost it one year. It was buried in tractor rutts for two years. This past spring I took a metal detector to the area and found it. Still can't believe it.

Below is another that I love using on non-raining days, it'll also come in handy if I happen to fall out of a tree [:@], it's a 3" carbon steel drop point with elk antler handle:

Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I'd avoid any knife that has a straight blade with integrated gut hook. Basically useless unless your gutting deer.

Take a look at the Buck Alpha Crosslock. I really like mine. It stays pretty sharp. My only complaint is that after a lengthy gut job it gets pretty messy because of all the nooks and crannies. If you can get past that it's a great knife.

Tom
I agree , even with a gut hook , you can cut guts if you dont watch what you are doing , the alpha folder is perfect for skining deer , the only drawback to these type of knifes is doing around the but hole , thats where a longer skinyer blade works well .

Quick Reply: need a knife for fielddressing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.