Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need a knife for fielddressing >

need a knife for fielddressing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need a knife for fielddressing

Old 09-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: need a knife for fielddressing

I haveBuck-Alpha CrossLock PBS.......Stays really sharp for a long time......Don't have to sharpen it very often. Has a good blade ,saw, & gut hook all in one.......Works awesome!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:59 PM

If you are looking for a knife specifically for field dressing deer-sized game and nothing else, IMHO nothing beats a "Wyoming Knife" http://www.wyomingknife.com/knives.htm

Old 09-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Works awesome for me.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spyderco,I've had mine for ten years it's done all my field dressing and skinning, I bone them out with a fillet knife.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 PM

I usually look for a length of about 3"-4"you dont want to big or you could easily cut your self when doing the lung cavity. you dont need no big honkin davy crocket/ crocodile hunter (no this is a knife) kind of thing.

I dont think the gut hook is necisary and it does not work a great deal better in my oppinion. you cant hardly find a knife w/o the gut hook now adays (at least in basspro/cabelas).

FYI: I bought a couple in the wal-marts. still have them. they cost no more than about 10 bux and work great. I just make shure to check them at begining of season, and sharpen them up if need be. they are the winchester searies. nice knives
Old 09-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I won't go into the woods without having several knives on me, different types, sizes and shapes for different uses.

I used a Buck 110 for years. Folders are handy and easy to carry, but you've got to get all the blood and crud washed out of the works or they'll wind up smelling like road kill.

A really great knife, though it's kinda funky to get used to at first, is an Outdoor Edge Whitetail Skinner. You'd be amazed how many ways there are to grip that knife and use it in awkward situations.

http://www.outdooredge.com/product_d...amp;prod_ID=15

My favorite fixed blade is a Helle Nying, which is what they're presently calling a Super Fjording on their website. 2 3/4" blade, traditional Scandanavian design, very light and easy to use. Triple laminated Swedish steel. Best knife I've got. They've got all kinds of knives and cover a wide price range. You'll find something you like.

www.helleknives.com
Old 09-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever knife you end up getting, make sure you alsoinvest in one of these bad boys! http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0006176.shtml

Zip saws are the best things since sliced bread for sawing through the pelvis.
Pretty interesting devise.

Below to the right is my pelvis splitter. And if I get bored, some dead trees or stumps will suffer.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

I have used a Case stockman for years. I have some other "hunting" knives but a good pocket knife works fine for me.

-john
Old 09-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like knives with a thick solid blade. Mine is one of the bigger buck knives (black and silver handle - very common, around $40). I like the thick blades for cutting the pelvic bone. Sometimes it can be tough and a small knife might have problems. Although, I have a zip saw that I could use, I just hate having another tool to clean. I actually have 2 of the buck knives now - one smaller one for skinning and to throw in the backpack.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Spike

I use the Alpha Crosslock andit works pretty good. The key is to keep the blade sharp.

Quick Reply: need a knife for fielddressing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.