Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who else is trying something new this year? >

Who else is trying something new this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who else is trying something new this year?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who else is trying something new this year?

Gear is all new for this year.Hunting tactics well remain the same.If it works dont fix it.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM

Several things, actually. Like you, I'm going to a much faster set up, 320 fps w/ a 355 gr arrow. Why? Because I can, plain and simple. I still get TERRIFIC KE, and I'm just not worried about it.

Tighter scent control. I even wear rubber gloves when handling my clothing during the washing process this year, and wash my towels and such in unscented soap as well. I've not done that before this year, but details make the difference. I also bought a scent lok suit.

I'm being much more meticulous w/ my entry/exit routes this year, the reasons are obvious. Also, I'm going on the hunting less, but more effective strategy this year. Some of that has been by my choice, some not, but it's all working together.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Strategy change: I am targeting two particlar bucks and going after them instead of just waitning to see what comes by.

Equipment change: New Scott release, try'n out the Tekans, and FOBs
Old 09-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm hunting with a recurve for the first time in the 36 years I been hunting!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I'm trying new arrows, Easton Axis 400's. I've also upped my draw weight from 55 lbs to 63 lbs (I have 50-60 lb limbs, but if I crank it all the way up it ends up being 63 lbs). I also bought a ground blind and will use it to quickly change locations. I will also bring my video camera along when I'm hunting the blind.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Quik,

I made the switch this year to GT Pro hunters 5575 instead of my always reliable Easton aluminum arrows. I have always liked the "heavy" arrow idea, but made the switch for durability reasons. I also bought into the Rage 2 blade hype. I haven't shot expandables since I started with a 2 blade Vortex in 1995. We'll see how they perform for me. Good luck on Sat. if you haven't already taken advantage of the 2B season.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:36 PM

I have changed virtually everything I am using this year. I went from Shooting a Bowtech Mightymite to the New Guardian. My arrows I changed from carbon express maximas 250s to a little heavier Goldtip CAAs.I switched from G5 montecs to shooting a mix of 2 slick tricks and one wasp Jackhammer. My bow is decked out with all new equipment that i havent used in years past. I changed from a Scott wrist release to a True Fire Hunter thumb release. I went from wearing a mix of camo to wearing my Enigma, and I love the quality of this stuff. I went from using dead own wind to using the advanced Scent Away formula, just because after reading the active ingrediaents on the back of both they are pretty much the same, but Scent away is cheaper. I am also hunting new areas this season.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

im trying to get my deer off the ground this year never did it with a bow killed like 50 already with a bow all out of a stand! New challenge for me!
Old 09-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've changed lots. I shooting and hunting with a different bow. I shooting GoldTip CAA's instead of Pro Hunters, bought open pattern camo, working on staying out of my core buck areas until primetime, etc. Lots of changes this year........
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

who- spending time hunting with three more HNI members this year..Hia, Tim and Tyler

what- changed a few bow accessories..new copper j pro hunter 2, g-5 strikers, new binocs, steiners (got em cheap, great binos) added3 trail cameras and5 more treestands, and made several more blinds and will continue to move and add as the deer do.

where- increased my hunting areas and plan to hunt 6 different areas in 4 counties through the whitetail season. Heading to ND in Dec!

when-on any whitetail hunt from Sept. to Dec. -making sure to not compromise any wind direction even with what I feel is a tight scent control regimen. I've never believed a hunter can be totally scent free. Hunting higher this year in all my new stand sets.

why-trying to lessen the pressure I put on a bucks area, make it count when I get a shot.

Quick Reply: Who else is trying something new this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.