HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Who else is trying something new this year? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/208883-who-else-trying-something-new-year.html)

quiksilver 09-26-2007 12:38 PM

Who else is trying something new this year?

So tell us what you're doing that is unconventional or different for youthis season? What were your motives for changing your approach to the game?

Tell us the What, and the Why of your changes...

The What?I'm trying a new camo pattern, and I've got a new bow. I decided to go with an open pattern (Predator), increased scent control, and a crazy fast bow setup (HCA Iron Mace 29" 70# with 285 grain arrows @ a legitimate350+ fps). Also went with a new broadhead, making the switch from Muzzy to the G5 Montec.

Not sure how everything will come together, but I plan on spending 30+ sits in the stand.

The Why? As for the camo - I just wanted to see what the fuss was all about with regard to these open patterns. Nothing more. They look good, and I presume that they'll perform amicably. I think the open patterns break up the human outline (in a treestand setting) better than the Mossy Oak and popular big box store selections...

Scent containment - that's obvious. I just tried to increase my odds by ratcheting down my level of human scent emissions. Anti-microbial this and that. Scent lok. Sprays, wipes, detergents. I'm always careful, but this year, I plan on taking it to obsessive-compulsive levels.

As for the bow - I wanted to push the limits, prove some people wrong. I wanted legitimate one-pin to 35 yards trajectory (I'm horrible at judging yardage, and it has cost me in the past), and this bow is the only one that can do it. I also have my own views/opinions on kinetic energy, broadhead selection, tuning and penetration that lead me to believe that this bow will perform just as well as my old setup, from a penetration perspective. I guess I'm just one of those people who hears somebody say"You can't do that," and it makes me immediately start looking for a way to say "Ohhhhbut I CAN, and this is how I'm gonna do it."

So even it's something so small as trying out a new treestand or a new broadhead or a new brand of scent killer- tell us why you're switching, and what you're trying to accomplish.

wis_bow_huntr 09-26-2007 12:49 PM

RE: Who else is trying something new this year?

300 gallons of corn....:Dno just kidding really, im not really doing anything different than i normally do.

rybohunter 09-26-2007 12:52 PM

What? 50# Longbow

Why? Cause I never killed anything with trad gear, and I want to. 95% of my shots are 15 yds and under anyways, so why not? (disclaimer: I haven’t dove in head first, the longbow will not accompany me every trip, much will depend on the intended setup that day)

Where? Ohio

Why? Cause I can’t hunt Sundays here in PA.

mauser06 09-26-2007 01:00 PM

trying something completely new this year.

trying to morph from a guy in a treestand in camo with a bow that calls himself a bowhunter to becoming a successful bowhunter.

last year was my first as most of you know. i learned alot last year. even got a shot on a buck that i muffed up. but learned alot and got the mistakes picked out. trying to learn from those. cant get better if you dont learn from your mistakes. im pretty much a whole new hunter this year. i feel as if im more of a smart hunter. not doing anything unconventional or off the wall....just learned from mistakes and gotta fix them this year.

Jim_IV 09-26-2007 01:04 PM

The thing I am trying new this year is already done. More scouting. One thing Iwanted to do was instead of just putting a feeder out and hoping for the best, I wanted to try and pattern the deer and set my stands accordingly. I think I will get more out of my hunt knowing that I worked a lot harder than normal to get one down.

BobCo19-65 09-26-2007 01:05 PM

Instead of using the longbow that I've used for the past two seasons, I am using a recurve.

Instead of Magnus Stingers, I'm using trocar tipped Muzzys.

Instead of my Bateman Glove with inserts, I'll be using my Schultz American Leather Glove with inserts.

PreacherTony 09-26-2007 01:05 PM

I have my new Drenalin (it replaced my 13 year old Alpine)

Aluminuim arrows have been replaced by Maxima Hunters with blazers

I switched from Muzzy heads to Rage 2-blade

I'll be using the True-ball Short-n-sweet release this season ..... I LOVE this release!

The why ...... It was time for an upgrade

What am I trying to accomplish by switching .....looking cooler ;)and being more effective with the shot .... the bow is more accurate ... faster ..... lighter

BTW Fran ... how is that Mace shootin' for ya?

quiksilver 09-26-2007 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

BTW Fran ... how is that Mace shootin' for ya?
Lights out. If I blow the shot - it won't be the bow's fault.

Barth 09-26-2007 01:11 PM

the only thing i changed was my broadheads...and ive shot a hell of alot more

quiksilver 09-26-2007 01:29 PM

I'm seeing a lot of guys switching away from Muzzy. I did.

Do y'all think they may have been caught, or even surpassed by the competition? I know Ifeel that way,in some respects.