Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thermacell users please help. >

Thermacell users please help.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thermacell users please help.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thermacell users please help.

Hey guys, I was out at one of my spots setting up a blind last weekend and the mosquitoes were horrendous. I had never used a Thermacell before but everyone here seems to love them so I went out and picked one up. I went back to the same spot on Sunday to hunt and fired up the thermacell but the skeeters didn't seem to mind it at all. I sat out there for as long as I could but they just kept on landing on me and buzzing all around me. There wasn't much wind and and I was on the ground in an open blind.
I am wondering how long it takes to start repelling the mosquitoes and if there are any tricks to making it work more effectively. And before you ask, I did check to see if it was working and the coil was red and there was a faint smoke coming from the blue pad. It just didn't seem to repel them at all.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Thermacell users please help.

ORIGINAL: phil_pick

Hey guys, I was out at one of my spots setting up a blind last weekend and the mosquitoes were horrendous. I had never used a Thermacell before but everyone here seems to love them so I went out and picked one up. I went back to the same spot on Sunday to hunt and fired up the thermacell but the skeeters didn't seem to mind it at all. I sat out there for as long as I could but they just kept on landing on me and buzzing all around me. There wasn't much wind and and I was on the ground in an open blind.
I am wondering how long it takes to start repelling the mosquitoes and if there are any tricks to making it work more effectively. And before you ask, I did check to see if it was working and the coil was red and there was a faint smoke coming from the blue pad. It just didn't seem to repel them at all.
I have noticed that mine really starts to work after about 10-15 min. Before that it's like it's not even on.

Did you give it at least 15 min? I know sitting out getting bit for that amount of time may seem like an eternity but maybe it needed more time?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Make sure it is leval and not standing straight up.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 AM

Forgive me, I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but you do have the ThermaCELL and not ThermaSCENT, right? The pad you slid under the grate was blue, not white, yes?

Sounds silly, I know.....But I've seen it happen.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I have had a couple of times where the blue pads were either old or defective. I think if everything is OK it should start working in 5-10 minutes.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:58 PM

At least you got yours to work. Mine would not even ignite.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Mine has always worked perfectly. Let it run for a while and see if that helps.

Darrall
Old 09-25-2007, 02:10 PM

I have about a 20 to 30minute walk from my house to most of my stand sights, I usually fire mine up as I am walking in and by the time I get situated in my stand its working great. Usually around 15 minutes

Old 09-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Hey Phil, I livein the "Land Of Many Mosquitoes" (Florida). A couple of weeks ago, while guiding a couple from your state of Wisconsin on an alligator hunt, we got in close to the marsh and the skeeters came out in full force. You probably don't have salt-marsh mosquitoes up there, but they are the most ferocious kind we have here. They are almost like miniature yellow-jackets. I turned on the thermacell and in 5 - 10 minutes we were skeeter-free. Those folkswere amazed. I've probably sold hundreds of the things just by word of mouth. Ishould geta royalty on every one of them. I've had one ever since they were put on the market and wouldn't leave home without it. Just make sure you've got a good pad in it, give it a few minutes and it WILL work.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 PM

I have been in my blind or on open ground sitting against a tree in the morning when the temp started to warm and the Mosquitoes started flying in in full force. I turn it on, and within three or four minutes max they have cleared out.
Fewcomments!
1. Make sure you lay it flat on ground or surface.
2. I like it on ground under my seat so the scent comes upward.
3. Make sure you have the blue pad directly on the metal tray and not elevated like on the scent machine. (The scent Thermacell has the raised tray. The bug thermocell does not.
4. You will see a faint steam rising from it when working properly.
5. If it has lost it's blue color replace it. Cheap enought to replace every other hunt or so.....
Hope this helps. Here is link at Bass Pro THERMOCELL