HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Ever been attacked by an animal? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/208199-ever-been-attacked-animal.html)

DaveH 09-22-2007 02:39 AM

Ever been attacked by an animal?

It seems to happen at least once every year. A bird of prey sees something (probably my eyes) that he thinks is prey.

This past Tuesday evening, when Rickmur and I were hunting, a peregrine falcon flew past me at a distance of about 2 feet. It landed on a branch about 30 feet away facing me. Then he jumped off the branch and came straight for my face! It was only when I stuck out my hands to block him that he diverted his flight path and landed on another limb off to my right. He looked at me,puzzled and then took off in disgust.

I've had squirrels run over me and have had numerous encounters like the one above over the years. I guess my camo is working!

Any similar experiences?

8pt~Bowhunter 09-22-2007 02:49 AM

RE: Ever been attacked by an animal?

I once had a squirrel attackme when I was hunting. (Something was messed up with this squirrel.)He jumped from a tree branch, onto me, then started attacking myboot. That stupid squirrel scared me half to death, jumping on me like that!He paid for that little deed.:D

Rickmur 09-22-2007 03:34 AM

He looked at me,puzzled and then took off in disgust.
Kinda like the look I get from my wifewhen I buy a new bow or somethingI bet.

While duck hunting on the Cheasapeke one day we were kinda naping after the morning flight. I had my arm resting on the side of the blind when I felt something on it. I came out of my semi sleepness to find a whooping crane perched on my arm. Scared the bedickens out or me. I jumped damed near into the bay and rodane flew off just as scared. We still laugh at that 25 years later.

BowKnutt 09-22-2007 03:42 AM

Ya'll got some mean critters where ya'll hunt;)I had squirrels come in the same tree with me--I had birds land on my boots even had alittle bird land on the bib on my hat--But luckly no has attackedYET!!Now ya'll got me thinking do I stink,naaahhhh must be the looks!!!:D;)

willyd5 09-22-2007 03:57 AM

I use to ride bulls back when i was dumb. Had one or two of those suckers try to plant me. I guess that is kind of self inflicted animal attacks.

wis_bow_huntr 09-22-2007 04:52 AM

do poodles count?

JESUS loves archers 09-22-2007 05:49 AM

I was trappin years ago and had a beaver that didnt want to die,in the back of my truck he decides to come to and latch on to my jeans!! If you havent seen a beaver up close theyre not a small animal-this guy went about 50 pounds,didnt get hurt but scared the crap outa me! I whacked him in the head and sent him to animal heaven.

ugmo2 09-22-2007 06:02 AM

I was heading to the river bank through a field when I noticed a ground hog running right to me when it was about 10 feet behind me. I jumped around a little bit trying to dodge the darn thing. It took off and my buddy back at the truck was laughing his @!! off.

Huntermann 09-22-2007 06:19 AM

A buddy of mine and I were bow hunting an old disc run over field of cucumbers. We were seeing deer like crazy that evening. Well about an hour and a 1/2 before dark I hear eeeeaahhhhhyah A shriek/scream of sorts. I thought what they heck.... Then a few mins later a squireel was barking incessantly, then it was quiet. The doe i was watching lifter her head toward the noise and listened and stared that way then moved off in the opposite direction.

Later when we got down I asked him what was that. He told me that he was sitting in a pine tree minding his own business. He hears a squirrel fussing about above him. Then all of a sudden this 6ft long black snake falls down across his lap. He is mortified. Normally he isn't that fearful of snakes (if you hang around me it pays to at least not show it....). So this snake has fallen across his lap, he then begins a sort of humping, jumping dance to get the snake off his lap without touching it. He succeeds probably because the snake is stunned from the 30 ft fall onto his lap. The snake hits the ground after another 20 foot fall and then lays there a couple of mins. About that time the squirrel comes running down the tree begins barking at the snake and the snake crawls off. The squirrel comes back up the tree stops right in front of my buddy and begins barking at him. Scared the crap out of him too. He doesn't move and finally the squirrel runs back up the tree presumably back to a nest.

The result of this and the look on his face as he told what I heard almost made me wet my britches....

Jim_IV 09-22-2007 06:24 AM

Good stories guys.

I guess the only thing that has ever attacked or at least try was pigs. They have chased me up countless trees but that is what happens when you start the fight. One of my buddys didn't get up the tree fast enough one time a got cut on his calf. Got him pretty good, about an eight inch long two inch deep gash[:'(]

StrutNtom 09-22-2007 06:31 AM

Do yellow jackets count?[:@][:@][:@]

vaclav 09-22-2007 07:15 AM

them squirrels are vicious...

RDHunter 09-22-2007 07:35 AM

A friend of mine and I were walking toward his tree stand site when we ran into this fella , he just stayed there long enough for me to take this picture.
After I snaped the photo he came charging at us , totaly freaking both of usout my friend stood his ground and waved his arms yelling at it.

MDBUCKHUNTER 09-22-2007 07:39 AM

6am, foggy fall morningand walking up hill. I'm carrying my ladder stand to the oak flat on top of our property (leased land). I hear a snort, figure it was a deer. Kept walking. I hear two more snorts, oddly enough they are getting louder. I probably can't see more than 12' in front of me because of the fog. Kept walking.

I broke the top edge of the oak flat and through the break in the fog, I see a bull at full chargeat 40 yds coming straight for me.

Dropped the ladder stand and jumped as high as I could into the surrounding trees.

Next thing you know, I am up in a tree with the bull pacing below me. 6 or 7 minutes later he got bored and left. 45 minutes later I got down out of that tree and changed my shorts.

RIStrutStopper 09-22-2007 07:49 AM

I'm quite regularly attacked by the psycho cat from hell. Her name is Belle :D

demoIL 09-22-2007 08:06 AM

I was chased out of the woods this year while bear hunting up in Canada, never got anything but boy was that an experience..

My brother had an issue with a bobcat once but he only had minor cuts...

I guess wierd stuff can happen...

*drop_tine* 09-22-2007 08:24 AM

One october evening while about 20ft in a tree I heard this scratching sound at the base of the tree I was in. I looked down at whatlooked like a overgrown ferret and watched as this creature slowly climbed its way up the tree. At this point I waved my arms and yelled at the little creature, and I apparently startled it and it started climbing the tree as fast as it could. I didnt react, I just watched in confusion as this overgrown tree rat was coming right for me.

He stopped at the bottom of my climber and started scratching the straps that were hanging off the climber. Then the little bastard ran around the other side of the tree and when I looked up there was a 7 point watching the episode unfold. Now focused on the deer, I tried to get my bow off the hook and the little devil(nasty teeth and claws) was hissing at me. By this time the 7point high tailed it, so extremely frustrated and feeling like I was on some kind of hidden camera show resorted to trying to stab the rat with my arrow. As soon as I poked it he took off and I was left thinking that this had to be the strangest hunting day of my life.

Turns out that the animal is a Fisher and are being reintroduced into the game lands in PA. Evil tree Rats.........

gamespooker 09-22-2007 08:38 AM

i was forced to jump from a twelve foot high box stand last year after being attacked by an owl.

alleganydeerslayer 09-22-2007 09:22 AM

While leaving my stand after dark last year I heard a commotion coming at me but I could not tell what it was. I could tell it was something large by the hoof beats rampaging through the leaves. I turned on my low level red LED in the direction of the noise and saw a 6 point charging me at 10 yards. I gave him the ole' and got behind a tree only to have him turn and come at me again. This happened three times before he stopped and and we had a 30 second stare down. He stood there with his head down and steamblowing from his nostrils as he breathed heavily while preparing to launch again. AsI stood there deciding whether I had actually wet pants or not he took off as fast as he approached. I started packin' heat after that!

Sport4 09-22-2007 10:10 AM

I have only had a squirrel attack me. I was in my stand and a squirrel that was in the same tree as me started barkin up a storm 5 feet above me. I stood up and tried scaring it away but it came right back. After about 5 minutes of this I gave up and just let it bark at me. Getting used the this crazed squirrels barking I kind of calmed down a little. Then the damn thing jumped on my lap and scared the bejeeves outa me. I about fell out of the stand but i didnt. The squirrels fate wasn't as good though as he fell from about 20 feet onto the ground.

Siman08/OH 09-22-2007 10:40 AM

a racoon while fishing

Diesel77 09-22-2007 11:19 AM

I had a ground hog chase me while I was carrying a bag of corn to a trail camera in July. He came tearing out of some bushes along a field edge and started in on me. I kicked him so hard he flew about 8 or 10 feet from me. He came right back so I was thinking, F it this thing must be rabid or something. I ended up having to dump the bag of corn and get some distance lol.

ildeercamp 09-22-2007 11:48 AM

yes I was, by my X wife over a deer stand

Steve F.in MD 09-22-2007 11:50 AM

I was attacked by a duck once.....................really.

Walleyefever 09-22-2007 11:54 AM

My brother was sitting in his stand one morning before day light, All's quiet right ? My brother likes to chew on a un-lit cigar while hunting. All of a sudden he is about knock out of his stand by a big owl :D
Apparently the owl thought he found a mouse in a tree and took the cigar out of my brothers mouth in flight :D:D:D He had to go home and change his pants :D

mathews outback 09-22-2007 12:09 PM

been dogt been twice,the first time iwas about ten a german shepard knocked me down and ripped my chest wide open,it took 60 stapples to close me up,doc said just another few millimeters and it would have ripped my throught out,the second time i went to a pay lake and some little terrier type dog ripped my pants,i was so pissed if i would have had my pistol probably would have killed it

hartshot101 09-22-2007 05:02 PM

I was hunting out of a dried up creek bed this last weekend, overlooking a thick fallow field. When i hurd a crash behnd me and saw a possum 2 ft to my left on a sapling, he started hissin at me so i threw a rock at him and continued watching the field then he climbed above my head on a low hanging branch and tried to jump on me. So i said screw it, im not tanglin with a rabbied possum on openin mornin, So i found a new spot.

bowhuntnbill 09-24-2007 12:43 AM

I think he was just trying to get a quick kiss,,LOL. man that just sounds nasty. Do you have any hatred for dogs now?

GregH 09-24-2007 03:14 AM

I was walking through a pasture and had one of these come to investigate what was messing with his herd. I left before any attack occured.[:-]

BullRider115 09-24-2007 04:12 AM

ORIGINAL: willyd5

I use to ride bulls back when i was dumb. Had one or two of those suckers try to plant me. I guess that is kind of self inflicted animal attacks.
I rode bulls for 19 years. IPRA, PRCA and then to the PBR. Had my share of self inflicted as well.

I also had a red tailed hawk come at me, squirrells on my lap, chicadees on my arrow, hat, boots and leg. Porcupines coming up my tree at me, always had to be careful in the mornings, seems these pokey fellas like to sleep in your stand. When I was a teen even took it from a skunk. You talk about a cover scent............

davidmil 09-24-2007 05:36 AM

We used to have a cat when I was a kid. He'd have fits every now and then and attack. Problem was, he always went for me. I'd be in one end of the house and hear the thing come bounding throught the house. It would land with all 4s a teeth right in my chest. It was weird.

And then there was Roberta in college. God what an animal.;)

crazedbowhunter 09-24-2007 06:24 AM

I shot a doe last year with my rifle using ballistic tips. Hit her shoulder, when i walked up to slice her throat i stuck my knife in and she jumped up and chased me through the field and myriflewas laying back where i shot her[:@], i had to run back and get the gun to shoot her again. She did ram me in the rear end once while she was chasing me. I also had my families bull we had whenwe had dairy cows attack me and throw me about 10-15 feet in the air when i was7 years old. the bullbroke my collar bone[:'(]

dragonslayer1 09-25-2007 06:06 PM

I hope my story doesn't sound like as big a lie as some of you guys! I was predator calling one black night, thought I heard something and turned on the headlight to see a great horned owl five feet from my face coming hard. I ducked, threw my free arm up and hit the owl. He flew up and landed in a tree over my head. Scared the wee wee out of me.

bassman417 09-25-2007 06:33 PM

shot a narrow 2x3 whitetail during shotgun season and after 45 mins i determined it expired. I walked up put my tag on the antlers and got ready to start draggin him out when he got up on his front legs and began charging me. My gun was about 10 yds away and both my hands were busy holding his rack as far away as possible. I pushed him one way and dove the other, grabbed my gun and gave him one more shot. Then drug him out. Hes now part of a antler chandelier at my fathers house.

fatsbucknut 09-25-2007 06:43 PM

"And then there was Roberta in college. God what an animal.;) "

Haha thats good

mauser06 09-25-2007 06:51 PM

blasted a squirrel with a 12ga once..flew off the limb and hit the ground. me and my buddy walk down and i grab it by the tail. i was young..maybe 13-14. naturally i hold it up for dad to see not far up the hill. right as i was swinging around the hill to face dad, the sucker came to life...clawed my wrist like a cat...flung that sucker to the ground and it took off runnin...lets just say i got the last word in the battle:D

watched dad about get attacked by a couple bucks...you know the horny, delierious full rut bucks...i remember one was honestly about to step on him...he screamed in its face and it barely flinched...id like to find me one of them here in a couple weeks:D

another time dad and i were setup on a point in spring gobbler season. mid morning...i knew dad was going to nap. we both took turns calling for a while 50yds apart or so. dad fell silent for a while so i just sat there..next thing i know dad is screamin like a girl...then i hear the saftey click off and wings start beating...turn to my left and see a long beard flyin and dad pointin his gun at it..dad said it brushed his pant leg..woke him up and he opened his eyes and the turkey stuck his head around the tree and was doin the ole head bob...i still tease him about screamin like a girl...i better tease him about that this weekend its been a while:D

lethalconnection 09-25-2007 07:16 PM

Was walking a cutline a few years ago and i hear this noise to my right and here its a black bear charging full steam for me, i brought my 30.06 up and i was about to squeeze but he stopped about 10yds from me then turned ran 10yds, starred at me some more then went into the bush's. I think what stopped him was the barbwire fence between us but he was about one more step away from gettin a 180grain Partition between the shoulder blades.

cynikalHC 09-25-2007 07:20 PM

does my wife count??

ericstacy 09-25-2007 07:54 PM

Never actually got attacked but was if fear for my life twice.
1. First when hunting on a WMA one morning in dark walking in to new spot. Felt kind of weird, like I was being watched. Found an opening and set up climber on tree on edge of clearing. Got up in position. As the dawn was breaking and I could begin to see, I saw a nice size doe approaching from the left. She crossed behind a set of bushes about twenty five yards away. So I hurried up and drew ready to release when she reappeared on the other side. As she stepped out , I about crapped in my pants. It was actually about a 120# cougar. She or he was just walking real slow looking around at the trees in my direction but didn't see me. It finally laid down at about thirty yards and watched the sun rise. For the next hour I had a wild cougar laying on the ground thirty yards from me lickingit's paws.Finally, I decided I had to push this animal on so I pull out my fawn bleat. What a mistake! When I blew on the thing the animal jumped to attention and didn't so much as move a muscle for the next twenty minutes. I watched it's eyes just pan back and forth looking for its next meal. It finally put its head down and walked off into the woods. Only after a few hours did I climb down and move on to another area. Spooky!!!!

Forget the second story....I will tell it some other time.

Lefty26 09-25-2007 08:37 PM

I usually get buzzed by a hawk or an owl a couple of times a year. Just happened tonight, same bird came flying at my face twice. I always seethem first and wave my arms and they put on the breaks. I'm just worried about the one I don't see and it hits me in the face those talons look like they could do some damage.