Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 walmart ladder stand set up question >

walmart ladder stand set up question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

walmart ladder stand set up question

Old 09-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default walmart ladder stand set up question

i went and bought a 2 person ladder stand from walmart today for 100 bucks
i plan to set it up tomorrow.
The directions did not realy say how to get the stand on the tree so what is the best way to set this monster up it weighys 78 pounds

also any other tips to useing it let me know
Old 09-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: walmart ladder stand set up question

It is best to set this stand up with about 3 people.

You need to assemble the stand and lay it on the ground.

Have the bottom part of the ladder pointed towards the tree you wish to have it in. Have it about 4 feet from that tree.

Have one guy stand on the bottom rung of the ladder stand to keep it from lifting.

Now get the other two guys to lift the stand/seat/top of the ladder.

Put you hands on the rung and slowly walk your hands to each rung as you push up and walk towards the tree.

As you get about half way, the bottom part of the ladder will want to lift off of the ground. That is why you need someone to hold it down.

When you get it against the tree how you want it,ste up the bar abut six feet up the ladder and then have two guys hold the ladder as one guy climbs up and puts the ratchet strap on the top.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Those are a bear to get up, but here's how dad and I did it. We put the SEAT end about a foot away from the base of the tree. Also, taped the ladder sections together to prevent them from sliding apart while lifting.(Some of them now come with pins to prevent this). We each had an 8' 2x4, with a 16 penny nail nailed in the end of it, leaving a couple of inches sticking up from the end of the wood. We first lifted, by hand, the platform as high as we could, and proped the stand against the tree. Then, we put the nail end of the 2x4's through the expanded metal flooring of the stand, and used the 2x4's to lift the platform up the side of the tree. Make sure there is nothing on the forest floor that can obstruct the end of the ladder from sliding as you lift the stand up. After doing all this, some mook came by 3 weeks later and stold the stand. I hope he got a hernia.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:05 PM

me and my brother n law just man handle his ,once its there its there
Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its funny you brought this up,I bought one last yr and put up......Yes its a bear to put up,did mine by myself,put it together by the tree and walked it up,no fun at all.Anyway I only sat in it acouple times last year due to the fact I was useing my two other single seat ones....Anyway Ive been useing it this year and I had to modifie it...
1st.....its obvious you cant have the front bar down to bow hunt(rifle/CB yes)......
2nd....dont plan on shooting to the left or right,the bow hits the sides and the movement you have to make to adjust is too noticeable....
Here is what I did yesterday......I climbed up and took out the four bolts out and took the whole side frame off....grab my bow and sat/stood and could turn both ways.Now I have a awsome stand with lots of room.
If you dont know what Iam saying just sit in it and try to shoot to your left and right or stand and try...
If your rifle/CB hunting it would be great but has it's limitations with the bow unless you do what I did..
at the price they are selling them for I might buy 2 more and due the samething to them...makes a awsome roomie stand....
Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Dang it! I bought mine last year for about $170 or so. And yes its a bear to get put up and take down. It took 3 of us last year. I did figure out if you have it on a tree line and can get a truck in there, lay it down once assembled like you would to walk it up, tie a rope to the top/seat area of the stand and run the rope over a tree limb that is just above where the top of the stand will be. The I tied it to the tow hooks on the front of my Blazer and slowly backed up, I had 2 friends guiding it and keeping it straight. Worked like a charm, works really good for getting it down. I set it up in a new area this past Sunday but was a few hunres yards into the woods so it was done by hand. Just me and my cousin this time. It was hell getting it up and bent the ladder rails in one section while walking it up. So its only about 10 ft up now (removed the bent section for safety reasons). Yes, this stand isn't the best for bow hunting but a great roomy all around stand. You are limited on left to right shots. If you stand to shoot you can still have the front bar on in the front. There is 2 setting for the bar on the front, you can have it straight out the front or out the front and angled down. I set mine so it is angled down for bow hunting as it isn't in the way and straight out for rifle hunting. I also place a bunch of twigs around the bottom edge of mine for more concealment. I'll try and get a pic I took the other day.
Bandon
Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n252/bhensley7233/momgun174.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n252/bhensley7233/momgun171.jpg
Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the camo net and had around the upper frame,mine doesnt have a 2nd setting or maybe it did(dont need it now).Anyway Iam going to try and fit the camo net on the bottom and onto the tree to break it up from the ground view...If your going to shoot stright or a little to the left/right its fine but you wont be doing a 180 if your sitting,now I can go about 250-270 deg.
It is nicer then my single seat ones with the little hand rails/gaurds....Alot more platform to work with...

reason for edit......Thats what mine USED to look like......
Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck man These thing are a beast but it can be done just get some of your friends to help other wise it will suck i cant stand puting up a stand by m self its to risky