Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Knife "idea".....whatcha think? >

Knife "idea".....whatcha think?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Knife "idea".....whatcha think?

Old 09-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Knife "idea".....whatcha think?

I had to go out at lunch to the hardware store to replenish my lithium battery supply (Grrrr). While there.....a thought hit me. There's a new style box cutter knife that folds.....and has replacement "Box cutter type" blades. Knife cost me $8.....and each replacement blade was $2.50. I bought the knife and 4 replacement blades.

My thought is......one deer, one blade.....NO SHARPENING.

I still will continue to keep my knife sharpened.....but I'll report back how this thing does on a deer......well.....you know.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:42 PM

Default RE: Knife "idea".....whatcha think?

I thought they were a great idea when they first came out. I haven't bought one yet but I have so many dam knives I don't actually need one.

Still, I like the idea of not having to sharpen them. Just replace the blade
Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I had to go out at lunch to the hardware store to replenish my lithium battery supply (Grrrr). While there.....a thought hit me. There's a new style box cutter knife that folds.....and has replacement "Box cutter type" blades. Knife cost me $8.....and each replacement blade was $2.50. I bought the knife and 4 replacement blades.

My thought is......one deer, one blade.....NO SHARPENING.

I still will continue to keep my knife sharpened.....but I'll report back how this thing does on a deer......well.....you know.
Laziness sets in on the "spike!"
Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Laziness?.....lol

I watched a guy skin one on TV with a flint rock! Anything less than THAT effort is "laziness"! Heck.....I'm not trying to make this HARDER!
Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

They suck Jeff. Get a real knife with a good blade. D2 steel is my new favorite. It holds an edge good and sharpens up real easy. I'm kind of a knife freak; I carry three while hunting, so no worries about them getting dull...
Old 09-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Dominant Buck

They won't last for ONE DEER, KP??????[8D]
Old 09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have one. It hasn't been much help with deer other than gutting. It just doesn't work well for me as a skinner. For skinning hogs its great. I cut 2" strips all the way from the neck to the hams and then peel them off one at a time. Almost like peeling a banana.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

You guys are bumming me out......[:-]

I thought I had a "winner", here. Seriously??? Not even one deer? The one I bought looks like a pocket knife.....with about a 3" replaceable blade.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

They stay real sharp for a long time. But I've had the edge taken off of knives in general for many reasons. And when you have three it really doesn't matter. I have a custom skinning knife that I use for just that. I took the edge off of it last year with I got in too much of a hurry cleaning up a doe and chipped the edge while separating the rear knee. My hands were freezing and I twisted the blade while in the joint. That took a while to sharpen out. I have a nice D2 custom drop point for making most of my cuts and another drop point puma with a real sharp point for the dreaded butt hole job (if necessary). I don't like my butt hole knife touching anything else...

So I guess if I were to stab someone with it; one could assume - I thought they were a butt hole...
Old 09-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Site Bouncer

The problem with those types of knifes (box cutter-utility) is the type (shape)of blade. I like a drop point blade that curves up so I can have more control of my knife tip. I can open up the skin without touching the organs/intestines and cut away behind the lungs as well. It'smuch easier with a standard drop point (skinning) type blade.

It would work no doubt but I think there are better "knifes" out there.

Plus, I'm a sharpening fool......

Quick Reply: Knife "idea".....whatcha think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.