Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk calls

Old 01-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk calls

Since there is now such a wide variety of elk calls/bugles out on the market, what are the calls (cow/bugle) you won't take one step out of camp without?

Old 01-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk calls

I personally would'nt leave hunting camp without either calls. You never know what situation may arise, I like to take two different calls of each. For cow calls I use a reed in my mouth mostly but also use the plastic reeded call as well, it works especially well when making demanding cow calls or lost cow calls. You can call bulls in with these methods when they won't respond to anything else. Then theirs those situations where only a bugle will entice bulls into a confrontation which is what I live for. Bull elk and cows make many different sounds so by having both types of calls and proper knowledge of when to use them you will then be ready for any situation. elknut1

www.elknut.com
Bugling Bulls & Beyond!
Old 01-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Absolutly will not leave home with out the Primos terminator and hyperlip bugles. They produce very realistic sounds, are very easy to learn to use, and the reeds are extremely user friendly. If you happen to break one just snap another on. The terminator really pisses the bulls off. Actually had one stalk me after dark opening weekend this year.
For cow calls I really like the Sceery calls. The seducer is very small and makes great sounds. There is a larger one also but I can't remember the name right now. I'll also cary some diaphram reeds to use as cow calls to mix it up when calling.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:37 AM
CG

The only calls I use are the Primos Palate Plate diaphram calls. (I think they are called "Sound Plate" now). In particular the white one (Ivory I think it's called). IMHO they make, by far, the most realistic cow calls and they allow you to manipulate your bugles. I used to use an E.L.K. Power bugle and it makes a big loud beautiful bugle. But in my experience, this isn't what works. The diaphram call allows me to sound as big or as little as I want on my bugles. They do require a little more practice than the hand calls though but well worth the effort.

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 01-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]