Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hug the tree and climb??? >

hug the tree and climb???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hug the tree and climb???

Old 09-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default hug the tree and climb???

is there anyone else out there still using a climbing stand without a climbing aid just hug the tree and lift the stand up. my whole family and a few friends all have loggy bayous (older ones) and thats what we do but ive been seeing a lot of treestand post lately and starting to feel alone in still doing this. anyone fellow tree huggers out there???
Old 09-16-2007, 04:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hug the tree and climb???

NOPE. I retired my old Baker the last time it took all the skin off my facee and forearms.[&:]
Old 09-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

no sounds to painful .I don't want to be that out of breath climbing
Old 09-16-2007, 04:51 AM

No reason to hug the tree when it's so much easier to use a climbing aid.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I did that enough before climbing aids were invented(or may I just didn't have the money for one). There's no way I'd hug a tree to climb it anymore.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I did that enough before climbing aids were invented(or may I just didn't have the money for one). There's no way I'd hug a tree to climb it anymore.
Same here rybo, I have a Loggy climber platform which I only use as a lock on now. When I first bought it I was a tree hugger. I then invested in the climbing aid that Loggy offered. It wasn't fun going up, kinda fun coming down like a firemans pole though.

I believe my cousin still does this, at least the last time I saw him.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Come do that here in SC on our pines. You will literally be eaten to death by fire ants. I wish they would all die and burn in hell!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 09-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

i still have a baker in my dads shed and that thing grips like no other really it cuts into the tree. i just make sure i have a sweatshirt or jacker on and i dont get any marks on me and the speed is too much for me to give up until i can no longer do it. i can get to my tree and be setup sitting down in less then 2 minutes and quietly. my wife needed the climbing aid and i just hate how loud the thing is. and for being like a firemans pole i love cause if you just need to get down fast just hold loose and slide on down, haha. def not for everyone but theres gotta be a few of us left.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:26 PM

i'm a sit-and-stand guy
Old 09-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to do the huggie thing back in the 70's with a Baker Slim Jim. Then I got smarter. It's a whole lot easier using a climbing aid, more quiet and I don't work up as much of a sweat.

Do yourself a favor. Leave the testosterone at home. Make it easier on yourself. You only have to fall once to be a statistic.

Quick Reply: hug the tree and climb???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.