Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hug the tree and climb??? >

hug the tree and climb???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hug the tree and climb???

Old 09-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

Default RE: hug the tree and climb???

Are you serious? Why would anybody still climb a tree like that?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

It wasn't fun going up, kinda fun coming down like a firemans pole though.
Yeah, it is great fun until the thing catches and it jars your insides hard enough to rupture the spleen

I retired the old tree hugger years ago. Too many cuts, abrasions, curse words, and frustrations. When all bulked up in the winter with the tree a little icy, you might as well have been peeing in the wind
Old 09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I still have the Loggy climber and use it every once in a while - depending on where I'm hunting, what the timber is like, how high I need to be, and whether I think I mightwanna leave the stand out there for a week or so (not really keen on leaving my good climber lay in the woods).

I've ruined a lot of good clothes running up and down black cherry and shagbark hickory trees - really tears up the inner forearms, and is hell on zippers. They sold a climbing aid, but Icouldn't justify spending the extra cash, and/or carrying the extra weight. Just man-up doggy.

I never minded it all that much, except for when the tree was wet. That sucked, b/c your whole chest and forearms would be drenchedby soggy bark - and that made for a lot oflong, cold sits for me. Iclimb a lot faster with the loggy, but that twangy metallicband drove me nuts. You couldget down a tree in a hurry in that baby, just kick the platform out, loosen your grip a little bit, and ride it all the way to the ground.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

During gun season, I'll pick a good tree and simply climb up in it with no stand. There are a few good tricks for climbing a tree even if it has no branches. I've found this to be an excellent way to hunt. You can get up into almost any tree and don't have to carry around a climber...

Give it a try sometime, you'll be surprised how well it works.

But I haven't been able to find many trees that work well with a bow. I guess you need a lot more from a stand, or I do anyways with a bow. But beach trees seem to be the best for bow hunting with out a stand. Lots of good branches.

Be safe,

KP
Old 09-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Dominant Buck

No your not alone. I still do and all of my friends do. Funny thing is, we all bought our stands before we met. I've tried the two piece stands and their not for me. I still think the loggy is the best bow stand ever made and tried to buy another one from someone on the forum. He just decided not to sell it.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Spike

To me the old hugatree method is a death trap approach. The sit down/stand up method is sooooo superior, if anything you control the rate of climb and the noise factor. It evolved from the hugatree method and is sooooo much safer and quiet.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

No but I'm ready too should the need arise. I've told others before who sit waiting in a tree for help while their base is on the ground that if they're waiting for me, prepare to wait a long time or as long as it takes for them to realize they can use the top and hug the tree down.

Everybody should already know what it will take to make that happen before they hunt in one.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

PETA hug trees.......