Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Finally broke down... >

Finally broke down...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finally broke down...

Old 09-14-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Finally broke down...

and bought a range finder. I had been looking at the Nikon 440's that are priced around $200. Well, I went to D!cks today and they have them on sell for $179.99. So I got one.

I've always felt comfortable with my ability to judge distance. Heck, once I got back to the truck I guessed a tree to be 60 yards out...well...I ranged it and it was 60 yards on the money. Lucky guess.

Mainly bought it because I don't want to have misjudged yardage as an excuse to missing/wounding a deer.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally broke down...

Im thinkin bout doing the same soon...........hopefully by december!

Good Luck to you!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great addition to your hunting arsenal. I always shoot the range of certain trees then forget what yardage they are anyhow.LOL I usually have twenty yds down pretty good. Anything further I range.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't know how many times, I looked at that very same range finder but couldn't part with the cash to buy it.

Maybe one of these days!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:49 PM

Its a fun toy and it should last me a very long time.

WW:
$180 is the cheapest I've seen it offered for. Still a nice chunk of change but it will pay for itself over the years.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

I bought the Bushnell 450 off their website Sunday. Mostly because I wanted to set my sight pins according to what the rangefinder. The way I see it, if I set them with the rangefinder readings then the distance stays the same whether it's off or not.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

ducsauce, I shot years of competitive archery and like you I was very confident in my yardage estimations. I used to do it constantly during my job (I climb poles/telco) etc....contantly to stay tuned for the shoots. When I went hunting, I relied on my range finder. I wanted to take the guess out of it. I find it a very useful tool now.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice, its deffinetly not the most fantsy range finder out there but its tough to beat for the money. This will be my 3rd year with mine and have yet to change the battery, will do before season but still works. I will say this, its tough to see during low light. So dont get to the point where you depend on it. Its great to have and use when you can but still cant beat good judging skills.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Range finders are nice I borrow my father in laws before season and mark my yardage at my stands good luck to all this fall ..... nice ROTTY pass thru I have one myself great dogs Jake makes my second . Mine have been the German breed 125 lbs 27 inch neck and all teddybear and loves kids
Old 09-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Fork Horn

i got a yardage pro a few years ago and it paid for itself 1st time out. at the time i was using really heavy carbons and at 25yrds i dropped about6" from there to 30yrds. i ranged my shooting lanes and one was thirty at the end of it and sure enough the doe i got was right there i just put my pin up in the top of the ribs and made a perfect heart shot. the one i got is plenty for bow hunting and i think its still around 130-140$ at dix sporting goods. just take it to your stand and range out your lanes and landmarks and you never have to pick it up when a deer is there. i love it and wish more people get one just to save that one miss or wounded deer is totally worth it.

Quick Reply: Finally broke down...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.