Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To mount, or not to mount? >

To mount, or not to mount?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To mount, or not to mount?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: To mount, or not to mount?

I mounted a couple earlier in my bowhunting but don't anymore. My biggest deer are not mounted. I just cut off the horns and hang them on a nail in the garage or put them on a plaque or something. Many just get wedged in a tree crotch so I can watch the squirrels work out on them. They'll almost eat a whole set in a year or so..

Old 09-13-2007, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Too expensive? Do you know how much time and detail a "True" taxidermist puts into his mounts?

The one reason I don't do it is b/c mine would be way too "personal". I would spend way too much time and detail in them that would eat up all my profits.

(((IMO)))

This is what I don't get when it comes to the people who say its too expensive. You pay hunderds if not thousands of dollars a year to hunt. This money goes towards the hopes of getting a buck of that caliber. Then when you finally do get one. You don't mount it? Come on. Whats a few hundred dollars to finish up the "journey"?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

I would only mount one if it is bigger than the ones I've got. I always save the racks and have them done though. They are fantastic, beautiful creatures and I truly enjoy looking at simple rack mounts as much as a full head mount.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:37 AM

TFOX, that is exactly what I'm saying. I would do a European, or skull cap.....but not a shoulder. Not that I don't like it, not that I don't think it's cool......Just can't justify the money.

StrutnTom, I'm not saying the Taxi doesn't deserve to get that much for it...Quite to the contrary.......I'm just not paying it is all.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only have one buck that I wish I would have mounted, and that is because I would like to preserve the memory of that hunt......he really isn't all that big. Someday I will get him mounted though. In the future, I can see myself getting deer mounted but they are going to have to be some really good deer for this.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I've never had one mounted, and probably never will. Okay, maybe. It might just be that all I ever shoot are scrawny-assed forks and six-points!!

Seriously -- my trophys are all skull caps or antler mounts. Don't have any heads mounted.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just get skull mounts.Big $$$
Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don’t mount them either. I’m not against it, but I don’t like them enough to spend the cash on them. Besides that, my wife is into décor, and the mounts wouldn’t go over well in the house. I may mount my kids first bucks, but haven’t really decided.
I like to boil their heads like a euro mount, but I don’t hang them on the wall. I like to hold them and look at them and remember the hunts. I think they look cooler than mounts, they’re a 100% real. And a skull with antlers has a certain appeal to me. Guess I’m a headhunter.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll post after pics when I get a new cam.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I'm just wondering, how many guys DON'T get their deer mounted? I mean, even if it's a really nice one, would you not?

Personally, for me......I won't. I simply can't justify that kind of money. Now, I may do some kind of skull cap mount or something....you know, those ones with just the antlers mounted on a plaque.....

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at deer mounts. I think they look really awesome....I just wouldn't myself, that's all.....Too expensive IMO...
Mobow you shoot your first buck the mount is on me!!!!

One of my biggest regrets is not getting some of my first big deer mounted.

My first two big bucks are rattling antlers[:'(], I have 3 more rotting in the barn. To far gone to fix[X(], mice have nibbled on them.

Quick Reply: To mount, or not to mount?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.