HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   found something odd in the woods scouting today (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/206651-found-something-odd-woods-scouting-today.html)

bigtim6656 09-12-2007 10:14 AM

found something odd in the woods scouting today

I went scouting to day on public and I was about a 1/2mile deep in the woods when I came up on Newtent. Which at this park you are not allowed to camp so I figure it is some place where some kids was having a party or something? I walked up on it causely and it was about half unziped. And inside of it was a large blue tarp zip lock bags a newer back pack some high end full arm rubber gloves zip ties and car door dint puller a few screwing needle like you use for a iv a skillet and a few other things I did not take the time to look at.

So Ithen thought meth.Someone had taken the tent and stuff out in the woods to cook meth. So after being there for about a min I Head out back for my truck fast but slow enough i could stay quite i get to my truck and head for the game office at the front of the park. So I figure I need to report this as I would feel bad if I or someone was hunting that area and the dope heads came back and some one got hurt. After talking to the C.O they said they would go out and check it out and told me to say outof there are.

So I hope from this wasted day of scoutingat lease a doper or two will get locked up. What real get at me is that was a great spot to I walked right by a bedding area that washuge. It had two dried up creek bed on it one on each side and a big creek and a 30 yard wide clearing. Dam criminals.
But I found out at the co office that there is a big soy bean field I can hunt that I seen deer at when I left.

Well i would bet the criminals will blame it on the deer or us hunters

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-12-2007 10:18 AM

RE: found something odd in the woods scouting today

You did the right thing and thank goodness no one was home.[&:]

bigtim6656 09-12-2007 10:20 AM

ya i thougt i was going to have to change my pants when i looked inside

i seen a post that a guy asked why would you wont to carry a handgun while hunting thats my answer

WARedBear 09-12-2007 10:23 AM

Good job. Hopefully they will catch the drug dealers. You can never be to careful these days. I bought a 9mm this year and started carrying it with me when scouting and hunting. It has given me a good peace of mind having it.

Be safe
Reid

Jim_IV 09-12-2007 10:24 AM

I have ran into the exact same thing here at home. Found a tenet where some dope heads were cooking meth. Two friends and I were bow fishing down a big creek. We went up to the Sheriffs office and took four officers back out there. They shut them down!

mauser06 09-12-2007 10:27 AM

drugs in the park system is a big problem for alot of parks. dope growers, cookers etc...i never knew that till i started going to school (park LE is my major..)

id hate to come across that and find someone home...could be bad news...tips like yours are invaluble. in a national park it would most likely be followed up and staked out. kinda wierd, but thats one of the things id like to get into. catching them slim balls...

never know what youll find out there...always gotta keep your eyes open. sounds wierd but i cant wait till march when i can get my CCW permit. i spend ALOT of time in the deep woods. little dirt roads not many know exsist..scouting, hunting, fishing...im out there alot. who knows when i may come across something like that and im standing there faced with guns and i have nothing..or a bow..or a fly rod:eek: id just feel safer with a sidearm...or when im getting into my truck after dark and someone is waiting there to mug or hijack me.

wvubowhunter 09-12-2007 10:30 AM

That crap worries me, good thing nobody was home. I got one question for you though, why did you stay long enough to know all that was in side the tent? lol

mobow 09-12-2007 10:37 AM

Lucky for you, it wasn't booby trapped. They normally are. I will say, though......The items you mentioned aren't anything that is used in the production of meth.....The only real weird thing are the needles....

But, you did absolutely right. Meth or no meth, they aren't supposed to be camping there in the first place. Err on the side of caution, I say.

bigtim6656 09-12-2007 11:27 AM

well i am ot sure that it was meth but there was nothing realy there you would need besides a tarp and skillet that you would pack in a 1/2 mile o sleeping bags no pillow no nothing you need for camping and the odd thing was no fire pit no trash no beer cans or anyting like that not even a cigerret pack

Finch 09-12-2007 11:40 AM

I still don't understand why there was a dent-puller in there?[&:]

Killer_Primate 09-12-2007 11:43 AM

Bigtime,
Where are you from?

BKE 09-12-2007 11:43 AM

Car door dent puller, IV needles, zip ties ?? Sounds like something crazy is going on in addition to the meth cooking, I hope the COs do in fact go check on it.

quiksilver 09-12-2007 11:48 AM

I have a feeling the quikkiemeister would've had himself a new tent, a new dent puller, and a nice new backpack...

Bailsuk 09-12-2007 11:48 AM

Cuz their heads will be mashed , they need to pull themselves together .

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I still don't understand why there was a dent-puller in there?[&:]

patgrizzlyhunter 09-12-2007 11:49 AM

Thats some pretty carzy stuff sorry 'bout your once promising spot

Chris_H 09-12-2007 12:01 PM

Jeez, it seems that everyone is finding drugs in the woods these days! Sorry that it ruined your day, and that you lost a spot for the season.

bigtim6656 09-12-2007 12:17 PM

sullivan in
as for haveing a new tent that was one of my early thought but when i seen what was in it that was the need of that

LittleChief 09-12-2007 12:23 PM

I have to agree with the post a few lines back... doesn't sound like tools to cook meth, but needles, a big blue tarp, shoulder length gloves, zip lock bags.... sounds like a camp site Jeffrey Dahmer would have taken a date to.
I have no idea what these folks were up to, but it couldn't have been good.

bobnan 09-12-2007 12:44 PM

Bigtim6656, I feel you did the right thing.Even if you were not a hunter, We don't need that on pblic land where we like to take families.

bloodcrick 09-12-2007 12:50 PM

close call indeed. I find that dam meth stuff (trash) all over the place around our lease. It gets old after awhile. [:@]

bigtim6656 09-12-2007 01:14 PM

that was one worry i thought that someone might have sue it to hind a body or two never know these area is mainly swamp and the chance of something gettingfound would be rear

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I have to agree with the post a few lines back... doesn't sound like tools to cook meth, but needles, a big blue tarp, shoulder length gloves, zip lock bags.... sounds like a camp site Jeffrey Dahmer would have taken a date to.
I have no idea what these folks were up to, but it couldn't have been good.

geterdun2 09-12-2007 04:26 PM

good deal. either way it needed to be taken care of. meth is nasty. i cant imagine why anyone would even want to try that. if ya try it and like it, then you become addicted, if ya dont like it, you just wasted your money. seems like a lose lose situation to me.

geterdun2 09-12-2007 04:30 PM

o yea. for those of you who said you carry a sidearm with you, do you have a CCW? i mean i feel the same way, especially with bowhunting in deep woods, i feel much safer. but even though im getting my pistol in a week or so, i cant carry it with me on public land, which is a bummer to me. seems like it would make everything safer, atleast for the good guys. i wander what they would do, probably arrest me and give me a very harsh charge.

is there anyway to get a CCW? im pretty sure you need to own your own business or carry large sums of money, or get atleasy 3 documented death threats (atleast thats what the gun store owner told me about MD laws) but i think it would keep everyone safe who hunts in the deep woods. i know it would be a problem on the street, becuase theres to many situations that could turn deadly when they shouldnt, but what about being in woods where noone is around? someone can kill you, burry your body and forget about ya. sort of scary.

childers 09-12-2007 04:34 PM

that is odd

early in 09-12-2007 06:04 PM

I think they mightuse a dent puller to pop ignitions? Just a thought.:D

mathews outback 09-12-2007 06:34 PM

I ALSO FOUND A METH TENT WHEN I WAS HUNTING A RIVER BOTTOM ONLY ABOUT 2 OR 3 MILES OUT OF TOWN.THE PEOPLE THAT DO THOSE THINGS ARE SO STUPID

erikh45 09-12-2007 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: geterdun2

o yea. for those of you who said you carry a sidearm with you, do you have a CCW? i mean i feel the same way, especially with bowhunting in deep woods, i feel much safer. but even though im getting my pistol in a week or so, i cant carry it with me on public land, which is a bummer to me. seems like it would make everything safer, atleast for the good guys. i wander what they would do, probably arrest me and give me a very harsh charge.

is there anyway to get a CCW? im pretty sure you need to own your own business or carry large sums of money, or get atleasy 3 documented death threats (atleast thats what the gun store owner told me about MD laws) but i think it would keep everyone safe who hunts in the deep woods. i know it would be a problem on the street, becuase theres to many situations that could turn deadly when they shouldnt, but what about being in woods where noone is around? someone can kill you, burry your body and forget about ya. sort of scary.
Ever heard the saying, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Perfect example of why I guess.

Vulture6 09-13-2007 07:40 AM

There are a lot of folks who will grow pot and cook meth on public lands. This is because if they are caught doing it on their own property, everything can be seized -- the property, the cars, the house, and everything in the house. So the usual method is to go to a "remote" area of public land (national/state park, national forest) and do it there. Usually they'll have some old beater car or truck. If they are doing it on public land, the only property to be seized is the truck and whatever is in it.

Over the years I have been involved in a lot of operations to clear these guys out of the national forest (mostly in California). The guys growing pot are generally - though not always - harmless while they are in the woods. They know the threshold between a misdemeanor garden and a felony garden and they are always a plant or two short of a felony garden. There was a time that they went in the woods armed and set booby traps, but that was an escalation that they soon discovered they couldn't win. 99 times out of 100, if they feel that their garden was compromised, they will abandon it. Usually, it is one garden out of several dozen. They'll gladly sacrifice a half dozen plants rather than risk being arrested. While I say that these guys are harmless, I'm referring to their being a threat in the woods. Their product goes on to fund organized crime - or gangs if you prefer. While they may not be gang members, they are being paid by gangs and are supplying them with product that they used to finance their operations. Anyone who doesn't see the harm that the gangs are doing needs to wake up. (that's a discussion for a different forum)

The meth guys are a different breed. Cooking meth is an adventure in hazmat land. These guys cooking meth out in the woods are typically armed. Since they aren't doing it behind locked doors, they feel paranoid. They also usually dump their byproducts on the ground, which is a serious hazmat problem. Their operation doesn't take months, like growing pot, so they usually stick around the area, or don't wander far. Meth cookers aren't the witless schmo's that the pot growers are. They are usually part of the gang and will usually be confrontational if confronted in the woods.

The worst I ever saw a pot grower armed was with a little .410 shotgun. I've seen meth guys with AKs. You did right to get out of the area and report it.

My advice to everyone who hunts public land during the warmer, more pleasant weather is to look up the phone number for the law enforcement office of the park service or forest service. They are the ones who will take action... they are sworn federal law enforcement officers and are prepared to deal with criminals. The conservation officer and park ranger generally are not the ones to confront these folks... and similarly, don't confront them yourselves.

Folks, we've got to take an active role in reclaiming our public lands. There is no reason or right for these folks to be conducting criminal activities in places where you may be taking your families. They think that they are going "deep into the woods" - but most of the time their less than a mile in from the road.

bigtim6656 09-13-2007 09:31 AM

my understanding is that it is your right to have a ccw they can only keep you haveing one if your a felon or a few other things

i know here in indiana you just have to pass a background check

there is no law saying you must carry large sums of money it is your second amd. right call the county sherriff they can tell you

Pickerel 09-13-2007 11:02 AM

Some fishermen found a neo-Nazi bunker on an island in the county park a few miles from my house a few years ago. Scary stuff you can find out there.

Drizzu213 09-13-2007 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: WARedBear

Good job. Hopefully they will catch the drug dealers. You can never be to careful these days. I bought a 9mm this year and started carrying it with me when scouting and hunting. It has given me a good peace of mind having it.

Be safe
Reid
I would carry a sidearm during bow season but it's not legal in MI but I'm assuming it's legal in your state?

huntingson 09-13-2007 12:57 PM

Man, where are you guys hunting??? The West side??? Everyone's got pot growers, meth labs, booby traps... HOLY CRAP!!! Y'all are going to make me scared to go to my secret public spots this year without goin' in strapped;)

fechmupbud 09-13-2007 01:32 PM

You need to be careful when going up to stuff like that... They may not be home, but you never know who's watching from where... I've found old campers deep deep deep in the woods that LOOK abandoned, but you never know what kind of crazy is in there. I remember getting nervous and feeling like someone was watching me - wondering if they were watching me with the crosshairs of a .270 on me. Crazy, but not impossible.

Mr. Longbeard 09-13-2007 02:38 PM

I'd rather be cought with it then without it;)

Michigan hunter14 09-13-2007 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Drizzu213

ORIGINAL: WARedBear

Be safe
Reid
I would carry a sidearm during bow season but it's not legal in MI but I'm assuming it's legal in your state?

It is with a CCW

geterdun2 09-13-2007 04:15 PM

yea guys buy my question is how to get a CCW. i mean, they do a background check and all to actually buy the handgun, which you can legally carry to the range or to one place to another, but it doesnt give you legal right to carry it around on your person. im pretty sure, atleast in MD, you need to have a specific reason for it. i asked the gun shop owner where i bought my gun and he said one of 3 situations will give you legal right to carry a handgun with you
1. carrying large sums of money (like leaving your work and going to deposit thousands in a bank late at night)
2. owning a store or gun shop
3. getting threated for your life more than 3 times.
i think this is pretty dumb, IMO. i mean i know everyone cant walk around with guns lol, but if im in a state forest hunting, by myself with a bow, i would feel much better with my sidearm to protect me from crazy mental person, a bear, or whatever. but i dont want to carry it if its illegal, ya know, i dont need to get a charge over something like that, even though i would rather have it on me than not. i guess i will just continue to carry a big ol sharp knive and hope nothing happens. but i truly think its illegal to carry your licensed pistol with you on public land. if im wrong let me know

Buck_Slayer 09-13-2007 04:34 PM

yea guys buy my question is how to get a CCW. i mean, they do a background check and all to actually buy the handgun, which you can legally carry to the range or to one place to another, but it doesnt give you legal right to carry it around on your person. im pretty sure, atleast in MD, you need to have a specific reason for it. i asked the gun shop owner where i bought my gun and he said one of 3 situations will give you legal right to carry a handgun with you
1. carrying large sums of money (like leaving your work and going to deposit thousands in a bank late at night)
2. owning a store or gun shop
3. getting threated for your life more than 3 times.
i think this is pretty dumb, IMO. i mean i know everyone cant walk around with guns lol, but if im in a state forest hunting, by myself with a bow, i would feel much better with my sidearm to protect me from crazy mental person, a bear, or whatever. but i dont want to carry it if its illegal, ya know, i dont need to get a charge over something like that, even though i would rather have it on me than not. i guess i will just continue to carry a big ol sharp knive and hope nothing happens. but i truly think its illegal to carry your licensed pistol with you on public land. if im wrong let me know
Who is to say what is a lot of money. if you get popped just make sure you have like 100 bucks on ya. then tell them that is a lot to you ;)

geterdun2 09-13-2007 04:41 PM

lol thats a good point, and he didnt explain it too much because i didnt ask because at the time, i didnt even think i would need one ya know. why do i need to carry a pistol with me....? but when really thinking of it, in the woods in certain situations, i think its best. i would hate to say im going to do it anyway ya know, i really would, but i hear alot of stories and see on TV where people get mauled by bears and all, i would hate that lol. i think i may call the state police and ask them.

i mean i would rather be caught with it then without it, but i would hate to catch a charge over something like that ya know. who knows what the law would say.

botechboy 09-13-2007 05:11 PM

The dent puller is what they use trying to pull their head out of their arse for being so stupid in the first place just my honest opinionfrom a honest wva redneckthank you and good bye

geterdun2 09-13-2007 05:12 PM

lol