Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Friend's bringing his dog with him. What about my best laid plans?? >

Friend's bringing his dog with him. What about my best laid plans??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Friend's bringing his dog with him. What about my best laid plans??

Old 09-11-2007, 12:54 PM
EBB
Spike

Default Friend's bringing his dog with him. What about my best laid plans??

So I spent all summer walking the trails around my place, I been moving my camera every week and I'm weeks away from a great opener.

Now my best buddy and his family are coming for a visit the week before with their dog. The dog is pretty active and if we go rambling all through those trails will it spook the deer off their routine? Or will they just move out of the way and return to normal later on?

I can't make him lock up the dog or put a leash on.... that ain't right either.

I would guess deer know the difference between domesticated dog and an actual predator, maybe I'm over reacting....
Old 09-11-2007, 01:16 PM

Default RE: Friend's bringing his dog with him. What about my best laid plans??

i wouldn't let it worry you too much. i get dogs on my cameras fairly often. i have seen deer on the camera less than an hour after the dog so as long as it is not running the deer barking i don't think they sweat them too much. i was sitting on stand scouting last week actually and heard a dog barking fairly close by and watched 3 deer eat ina clover plot without even looking in that direction.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

You two humans will do more harm rambling about those trails than that one dog....but the dog does compound things.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Deer are creatures of habit. They are probably used to dogs and it wont bother them a bit. If you had a dog running through the woods day after day, then they might move off.

The first time a deer is spooked, it will most likley circle around and come back. No biggie.