Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 deer and soybeans >

deer and soybeans

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer and soybeans

Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default deer and soybeans

ok i was out scouting to day at the start of daylight

i was checking out the three locs. i had on te map i posted.

i found another good spot that is about 1/2 mile or so deep in the wood
and is a clearing about 50 arces or so of weeds an thones that has some nice big quad runner size trail cut through it and has a tilled area about 10 yard to 15 wide around the wood line which might make for a good spot exept the 1/2 or so hike through the woods

also i found out today the soybean field on the map i posted has a public area cut down the middle with asmall tree line down it that i can hunt
do deer like soy beans and when are they likely to be in the fields
Old 09-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer and soybeans

Deer LOVE soybeans. I hunted last year on a soybean field around 6 acres big. I saw deer every day, morning and afternoon. I acutally had a shot at one of the biggest bucks I had ever seen but I fudged the shot up and have no proof!! However beans are good until they are picked. Every day I would have deer in the field for 15-20 min at LEAST. I would hunt the beans and hopefully you'll have an encounter with..... THE BEAN MONSTER!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

i agree the area i hunted is surrounded by bean feilds and back corner entrance to the woods where must the deer seem to come and go looks like a weed eater went to down on the beans.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really miss our 100+ acres of beans this year. Beans are good even after harvest due to regrowth,
but at first frost they will die, which is usually why in most places they are not great for a hunting plot.
We planted a couple of acres in beans and the deer won't even let them grow due to overgrazing.

We plan on putting some austrian winter peas in the cut Milo this year. In the woods for a fall plot
I would not use beans, instead use a mixture that has clover as a base with maybe rape and oats thrown in.