Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Archery range @ home >

Archery range @ home

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Archery range @ home

Old 09-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Archery range @ home

I shoot my target bow all winter long in my basement. Just moved into a new house and I now have a 18 yd three lane range.... It will keep me from going crazy in northern wisconsin!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Fork Horn

Check with your local police. Aroundhere,if your yard is fenced, and you have a proper backstop. You can pay $25 and get a permit to shoot. I shoot at about 25 yards and off the roof of my kitchen. Dont shoot a ton during the winter, but start again once it warms up some. Worth a shot to check it out.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wiranger

Check with your local police. Aroundhere,if your yard is fenced, and you have a proper backstop. You can pay $25 and get a permit to shoot. I shoot at about 25 yards and off the roof of my kitchen. Dont shoot a ton during the winter, but start again once it warms up some. Worth a shot to check it out.
Wow, I hope I don't have to pay to shoot in my back yard, or worse find its illlegal... I'm looking to close on a house in a couple weeks. I compromised, I wanted to be out in the boonies with woods behind me, ended up in a suburban neighborhood with a road behind the house, but its a pretty big back yard with a small buffer of woods between me and the road. I intend to shoot back there. I should get 30 yards or better. Maybe I should get off of HNI and look at town ordinances.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

When I cant get out, I setup my River bottom 3D target in the bedroom and shoot from the bathroom.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot some in my basement also, but only when its raining.I can just about get a full 20 yard shot, and a few more if I was to shoot corner to corner.

I stay at about 16 yards though as shooting past my motorcycle and other toys made me alittle nervous.

In my yard I gota 10 yard, two 20's, 30, and 40 yards marked with blaze orange stakes. I just use my bow for this. For plinking with my .22 or whatever I got 80 yards marked off.

I live in the sticks, so no one cares what I shoot. If anyone pulled into my yard I would have better odds of them asking to join than asking me to stop making so much noise.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since there are thousands of bowhunters around Dallas/Fort Worthand only hundreds of them belong to the local clubs, there is obviously a lot of bow shooting going on at home. Few homes have basements in this part of the country so, just as obviously, most of that home shooting is done in the back yard.

I shudder to think how many of those are sky-drawing shooters, and how much risk they are taking by shooting in their yards. A sky-draw and a release malfunction, or even someone who draws properly butbreaks a string on release,can send an arrowoff intoparts unknownand somebody could easilyget killed.

Home ranges in the city, unless you're in the basement,aresimply not a good idea. Not to mention that I can't think of a single municipality around the areawhere it is legal to shoot a bow - or any'projectile firing device' as they usually word it around here - in the back yard.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot 11 yards in my house and I use a bag target for fieldpoints and a block type target for broadheads. I use some old, rolled up carpet for a back stop should I miss, or to catch the arrow that penetrates through the target. 11 yards is OK for 10-20 arrows everyday to keep everything the way it should be, but it gets boring at times. There isn't much arch in archery when shooting 11 yards. The real fun is shooting at distances 30 yards and up.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:07 PM

I live in a pretty tightly packed neighborhood, but cleaned the brush completely out from one side of my house and that gave me about a 6 foot wide run down the right hand side if I'm facing the house. Ishoot right down this alley.There is a stockade fence across the 20' by 20' backyard. Threw up a few bails of hey and a deadstop target and if I shoot from the front corner of the house where the little run starts, i can go all the way out to 26-28 yards, but 20 yards or so keeps me out of just about everyone's sight.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck_Slayer

I paper tuned my old bow in our old apartment...I would stand in the bathroom and shoot into the kitchen. haha, my girlfriend asked me what the hell i was doing
that's some funny chit right there!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 02:31 PM

I have 20 yards in my back yard, which is surrounded by a high cedar fence. In the winter, I can shoot out the front of my garage. I stand in the warm garage, hit the electric door opener, shoot a few shots, and then close the door before it gets too cold.

Quick Reply: Archery range @ home

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.