Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Washing Hunting Clothes >

Washing Hunting Clothes

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Washing Hunting Clothes

Old 09-03-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Washing Hunting Clothes

I was just wondering how often everyone washes their hunting clothes and do they use scent killing detergent everytime they wash their clothes. I just have a feeling that my camo would last much longer if I didn't wash them so much. What if after a hunt could I keep them outside too keep them smelling like the outdoors and just wash every so often. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:25 AM

Default RE: Washing Hunting Clothes

it depends on how much u sweat in them an i put a cap full
Old 09-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just use a scent free detergent (ALL: Free & Clear) and softener (Downy: Scent Free) on all my clothes, including underwear.I make sure that 2-3 loads before my hunting clothes are done in only scent free detergent w/ scent free softener, and scent free dryer sheets. I prefer scent-free year round, however, the wife likes to wash some of the little ones clothes in scented detergent and softener, but rarely during hunting season does any of that stuff get used.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:33 AM

I use the green soap from Hunter specialties..After washingI dont use any softner when drying..I place them in a new trash bag and tie it up.I use scent shield spray on my clothes before going into the woods and have deer walk underneath me with no detection..Also before putting on clothesI shower with the green soap and wash hair with it too..You can get it at wally world for $5.00 or so. Scent shield in purple bottle or blue bottle for around $10 or so.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Dominant Buck

For my clothes......I might wash them after every use in the early season.....dependent on whether I sweat or not. Alwys use scent killer detergent.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with OHbowhntr but my outer camo is scent lok which gets thrown into the dryer and only gets washed when bloodied or needed.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take it to the extreme....I will wash my clothes right now in scent free detergent, either the green stuff or scent away. I hang them outside for two weeks where they can get whatever they need, air dry that is. I dont care about rain or anything else. I keep them out there until the leaves begin to fall. I take them back inside for another scent free wash, hang dry them again, gather some leaves, spray them down real good with earth scent. I let them dry with the earth scent on there gather the leaves and throw those in my plastic bin. I sprinkle those around pretty good so the get in the layers. Store it outside in the bin away from where it can not get wet and rock them opening morning......
Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wash my stuff after every trip. All I use is Arm & Hammer baking soda. About a 1/2 a cup per load.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I wash my stuff after every trip. All I use is Arm & Hammer baking soda. About a 1/2 a cup per load.
Same Here, generally much cheaper and much easier to find than the Unscented soaps and detergents. Baking Soda is just as effective and I can find it everywhere, a lot of the unscented detergents are hard to find by me. Also regular Ivory bar soap works well for showering as its scent is almost non existent, no one I know who usesa similar routine as me has ever been winded, so I'll stick to it.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

I wash my duds after every trip out (excluding some outerwear). As far as wearing out your camo goes, I've read that if you turn your pants/shirts inside out prior to washing, they won't fade out on you as quickly. I have nothing to back that up, but I do it nonetheless.

Quick Reply: Washing Hunting Clothes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.