Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What TIME are you in the woods? >

What TIME are you in the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
15 minutes before daylight
4.17%
30 minutes before daylight
31.25%
45 minutes before daylight
26.04%
1 hr. before daylight
27.08%
90 minutes before daylight
9.38%
over 2 hours before daylight
2.08%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

What TIME are you in the woods?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:30 AM

Default RE: What TIME are you in the woods?

I have a similar situation to GMMAT. And if you hunt close to bedding areas, I think its a must to get there that early. I have also found a sound tactic to seeing deer during the gun season is to get to stand many hours ahead of time near a sancutary and/or bedding area with my bow and let all the gun hunters push them to these spots. They generally slow down when they get there and hence you may get a lot of opportunities at deer that aren't running during gun season.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Timely response from the NCWRC:

------------------------------------------

Jeff, there are a few game lands and a few Federal Refuges that do have a specific time that you cannot enter. However, on private lands and most game lands it is legal to go get in your stand and wait for legal shooting hours. This is fairly common practice.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 AM

When ever I wake up.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to be sitting in my stand 1 hour before first light. I'll relax in my climber and listen to my MP3 player for a little while.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:13 AM

30 min before daylight.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Jeff, there are a few game lands and a few Federal Refuges that do have a specific time that you cannot enter. However, on private lands and most game lands it is legal to go get in your stand and wait for legal shooting hours. This is fairly common practice.
Where I hunt, your bow must be cased until 30 minutes before sun up and 30 minutes after sun down.

I usually get there 15 minutes early. Don't disperse as much scent that way.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:21 AM
OGW

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Where I hunt, your bow must be cased until 30 minutes before sun up and 30 minutes after sun down.

I usually get there 15 minutes early. Don't disperse as much scent that way.
Interesting but do your regulations state what kind of case?
I know I've taken my Bow into my standsites well over 90mins. before shooting light in a soft case simply to protect it better on the way in.
I just tie the pull rope to the handles when I get there. I make sure it's well sprayed with scent-away and on occassion I've used the case as a seat cushion!
I get there early especially when hunting public land and use the other later arriving hunters to push deer towards me when they enter the woods!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I typically in place about 30 minutes prior to first light. This gives me enough time to let things settle down and maybe catch a snooze before I can see things.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: OGW

Interesting but do your regulations state what kind of case?
I know I've taken my Bow into my standsites well over 90mins. before shooting light in a soft case simply to protect it better on the way in.
I just tie the pull rope to the handles when I get there. I make sure it's well sprayed with scent-away and on occassion I've used the case as a seat cushion!
I get there early especially when hunting public land and use the other later arriving hunters to push deer towards me when they enter the woods!
Just a soft case as you described is all that is required. I believe it has to be fully closed as well. You know, no open ended, sheet cases with a rock sewn in the other end for quick removal for the quick draw types![:-]
Old 08-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Interesting, Greg.

Where I hunt, though.....I've noticed the deer "stage"....before heading into their bedding area. If I get there too late.....I alert them to my presence (bump them). I've been in there early and heard (and seen) them coming by. I guess my "logic" is....I'd rather be in there than bump them out. At least my way.....I stand a "chance" that I'll be undetected.....and I might just catch one of them coming home late, one morning.

Trial and error.....to get to where I am (current approach). IF I could approach them from another route (THAT is where I'd be leaving too much scent)....I would. I can't. I'll probably only hunt my best morning location once a week. Other times....I'll be there like you guys.....1/2 to 1 hour beofre shooting light.

I'm more interested in the "why's"....than the "how's". Good stuff in here.

Quick Reply: What TIME are you in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.