Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting with a Decoy - Buck or Doe? >

Hunting with a Decoy - Buck or Doe?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting with a Decoy - Buck or Doe?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting with a Decoy - Buck or Doe?

How many of you hunt with a deer decoy? Do you have more success withusing the decoy as a Buck or Doe.......Early Season vs. Rut, which decoy is more successful....buck or doe?I've always heard that bucks will approach a buck decoy from the front (face to face) anda buck will naturally check a doe from the backside. Let's hear your opinions on decoying deer.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting with a Decoy - Buck or Doe?

any decoy users out there??????
Old 08-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im curious too.............i wish i could help.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would really like to try hunting over a decoy this year. I have quite a few places that I feel it would work. I did have a decoy setup last year where I was in a ground blind and used a decoy.......had a nice 2.5 year old 6 pointer come in and look from about 50 yards away and then he just disappeared. He didn't seem to care much even though it was last week in october.....
Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Your luck will be dependent on you rherd dynamics from what I've been told. I can't imagine using one here.....unless I was hunting one particular buck. I know the bucks where I live are the commodities. They don't NEED to go looking for a fight (from a buck decoy)....and there's PLENTY of does to choose from.....negating their need to search a lone doe.

I can see how it would be effective in many places......just not here (IMO).
Old 08-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, last year I could have really used one when I rattled in a bruiser!!
He came clear across a field, 20 yards away but behind a tree, no shot.
He stood there for a while (seemed like forever), scanning the woods looking for the intruders.
A buck decoy would have worked like a champ!!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

It can be fun,I've spooked does with a doe decoy . Now I'M going to try two.doe and a small buck .I'll try to post pics of how it works.

And remember you are not alone out there ,use orange when setting up and moving them.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Have not used a decoy before. I did buy one for this season though, I can't wait to try it. I bought a buck decoy. Hopefully I will have some pictures to post later this season.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

I use my decoy a lot. I have a Flambeau feeding doe/buck. We took a small 6 pt. and screwed in wing nuts to attach it. Works and looks great. Here is my suggestions for IMO proper decoy use.

In early season, use a feeding buck. Bucks are still in bachelor groups and like to spar and play. Light rattling and social grunts work well. Bucks will show up just to have some company in most cases. Usually set up in a field where there is a long field of vision. Does will stay away.

Pre rut- Still use as a feeding buck but, deeper in cover, along a rub or scrape line. More aggressive with the rattling with a mix of social and tending grunts. Bucks will flank you so be aware of your surroundings and don't get busted rattling.

Rut- I use as a feeding doe, with a white rag soaked in nasty. I have been known to tie a fishing line to it so where a little pull you can get good tail movement. Easy on thebleats, the bucks are already looking. Again, set up in fields where field of view is great.

Post rut and late season- Feeding doe, white rag, with bleat calls. Set back up in the bedding areas for a stroller buck looking for a doe in late estrous.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I havn't expierenced much of a response when I've used when. Usually they just look at it and go on with their business. Usually use it as a buck decoy.

Other hunters really like looking at it though! Get's almost scary sometimes (obviosuly I only use it during archery season) - at how long they will sit there and stare at it.

Quick Reply: Hunting with a Decoy - Buck or Doe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.