Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to Handle Trespassers? >

How to Handle Trespassers?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to Handle Trespassers?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 AM

Default RE: How to Handle Trespassers?

Thanks for all the input. I don't plan on shooting at anybody. I hunt two pieces of wooded land about 35 acres each, one is fenced and the other is not, neither of them have posted signs on them, but my understanding of trespassing laws in wv is that if you don't have premission to hunt it you are tresspassing, although it says it is harder to prosecute tresspassers on not fenced land (understandable). But my plan for this year was to go up to any hunter I see (most live in the area and know the family) and tell them not to come back, take down infoand explain the property line, then call the warden/police if they come back (unless they get all whatever then I'll call right then and there). I really didn't have much problem during bow season, but had someone walk up on me everytime I went out during rifle. The thing that top it off to putting an end to this was that I found a dead doe on our property last year. Ticked me off big time.
Thanks again for all the input.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:23 AM

I think you should post heavily if you can. It keeps the honest people honest and the others, well, there's not much you can do other than talk to them if you have the chance and call the conservation officer, which in a majority of cases won't help if you don't know who they are. You could also post signs near prime spots warning that trail cams are active and trespassers will be prosecuted, even if you don't have any trail cams. Other than that, it's working with the neighbors to watch out for one another's land.

Good luck!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 AM

i dont own land, but i think for a 1st time the warden shouldnt be called. like someone else said, they might be unknowingly trespassing, and to shoot at them, scare them or even call the warden is a bit extremely IMO. i would walk directly up to them, armed but concealed (just in casE), and let them know whose land it is. they will probably agree and apoligize and leave, never to return. i would take their info and remember their face, and if it ever happens again, then call the warden. i would really hate to get someone in trouble over a miscommunication, or even them being dumb for a 1st time offence and hunting where they thought "maybe its noones land, or public" even if it sounds dumb. i understand protecting the land, but i also understand that sometimes the law isnt fair and will prosecute them even if it was a mistake, which will make their life completely changed with court costs, criminal record and all that. even if they say it was a mistake, but you dont believe them, i would give them a warning first. thats just my opinion, again i dont own land so im not sure maybe i would act differently in a real saituation, but i doubt i would call the man on them off the bat. now if they start acting dumb when u confront them, saying to screw off or anything, then do what you got to do.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 PM

Years ago landowners had no problem allowing hunters to hunt their land. Trespassers take a large risk nowadays. Things have changed! Most landowners aroundme are fed up.Nowlandowners have to deal with
trespassers,thiefs, people dumping on their property, being suedand yes the 8 landowners shot by a trespasser 2 yrsago up north with 7 of them dying. Ihave had property stolen from my land and tires dumped on my land and someone cut down and stole a bunch of trees. I have a cabin on my property with valuables which I paid for by fighting overseas and I will protect it. My property is completely fenced in now and posted every 100 ft. There would be no doubt if a personcrossed the fence that theywere indeed trespassing.If someonetrespasses on me and they have a weapon. It is criminal trespass.I have been in the military for 30 yrs, been to Iraq and afghanstan and going back again this spring. I'm very proficient with a weapon and although I am not proud of it and it bothers me everyday, I have taken many human lives. Many veterans that are lucky enough to have made it back home, just want to be left alone. I too am fed up and just want my piece of heaven and to be left alone.If the property is properly posted or fencedthere could be someone like me on the other side,stay out!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

Bury them where no one can find them.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:04 PM

timbercreek - so you would shoot someone if they were hunting in your treestand? is that the drift i am getting?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

Years ago landowners had no problem allowing hunters to hunt their land. Trespassers take a large risk nowadays. Things have changed! Most landowners aroundme are fed up.Nowlandowners have to deal with
trespassers,thiefs, people dumping on their property, being suedand yes the 8 landowners shot by a trespasser 2 yrsago up north with 7 of them dying. Ihave had property stolen from my land and tires dumped on my land and someone cut down and stole a bunch of trees. I have a cabin on my property with valuables which I paid for by fighting overseas and I will protect it. My property is completely fenced in now and posted every 100 ft. There would be no doubt if a personcrossed the fence that theywere indeed trespassing.If someonetrespasses on me and they have a weapon. It is criminal trespass.I have been in the military for 30 yrs, been to Iraq and afghanstan and going back again this spring. I'm very proficient with a weapon and although I am not proud of it and it bothers me everyday, I have taken many human lives. Many veterans that are lucky enough to have made it back home, just want to be left alone. I too am fed up and just want my piece of heaven and to be left alone.If the property is properly posted or fencedthere could be someone like me on the other side,stay out!
Sounds like you don't treat human lives very important. Just because you are a veteran doesn't mean youstart shooting people when they step on your land. I have people that's beenin war too and consider them veterans too. They would never shoot at anybody for stepping on our land. Just because you have killed in a war doesn't mean you have to kill your people inyour native land too. YOU NEED HELP...... AND NEED TO FIGHT IN A REAL WAR SO YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT LIVES ARE.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:52 PM

i agree with wolf. and i dont know what state your in, but if you do that here in MD, you would be charged with murder 1 just the same as if you tried to rob someone and shot them to death. i would think most states feel the same way. u cant just kill someone because they are on ur land, u need to feel like ur life is in danger. unless you just lie and say they were never there, which is a totally differnet story. yea just cuz u had to kill there, doesnt mean you will be looked upon favorably here for killing them. i dont know if you understand what it means to kill, just because you have killed over seas, where it was you or them, doesnt mean you would be alright morally with killing someone because they were sitting in ur treestand. either way, you would be in jail for rest of ur life. i would hate to be the person trespassing on ur land, thats a hard lesson for not such a hard crime. just my opinion, kill who u want lol
Old 08-31-2007, 04:20 PM

Geterdun2: "so you would shoot someone if they were hunting in your treestand? is that the drift i am getting?"

Where did I say that?

Wolf Wrote:They would never shoot at anybody for stepping on our land. Just because you have killed in a war doesn't mean you have to kill your people inyour native land too. YOU NEED HELP...... AND NEED TO FIGHT IN A REAL WAR SO YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT LIVES ARE.

WOW! Where in my post did I say I was going to kill someone? and you post"need to fight in a real war". That warrents no reply from me! The other half a million americans that have fought or are fighting right now can reply to you on that one!

I'm done!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Wolf651

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

AND NEED TO FIGHT IN A REAL WAR SO YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT LIVES ARE.

OK so are you saying that the Iraq war isn't a real war?, cause if thats the case then why don't you explain that to the thousands of family's that no longer have their loved ones with them.

Quick Reply: How to Handle Trespassers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.