Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 proccessing your own deer >

proccessing your own deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

proccessing your own deer

Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: proccessing your own deer

Hey, I'm the grill master ... I've cooked it all inculding armadillo... I had some backstrap steaks last month, but trust me Axis is so much better, and a young pig is awesome, after all I am Polish, I eat sausage all the time. I make my own polish sausage. I'd rather eat that than a two inch thick porter house steak.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Hey, I'm the grill master ... I've cooked it all inculding armadillo... I had some backstrap steaks last month, but trust me Axis is so much better, and a young pig is awesome, after all I am Polish, I eat sausage all the time. I make my own polish sausage. I'd rather eat that than a two inch thick porter house steak.

Whoa whoa whoa.....I'm polish also, but a 2 inch thick porter house?.....
Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Michigan hunter14

That proves I'm Polish
Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Michigan hunter14

That proves I'm Polish

I guess I am not Polish enough
Old 08-27-2007, 11:57 PM

saves money, better cut of meat, tastes better knowing I worked hard for this meal.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:17 AM

We butcher all of our own deer. For one it would be too expensive to have a meat locker do our butchering. Another is that we know we are eating the deer we killed and not someone elses.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Bartender

Yes I process my own venison. My uncle rents a house on the farm I hunt and the farmer had him convert a small house into a enclosed freezer to hang the animals and a butcher area. We pay $5 per day to hang the deer which helps a bit for electric. I will take a pic next time I am up there.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I do my own, my wife and I mainly eat ours as roasts or stew meat, and it isn't hard to do. If I want one done as summer sausage I'll take it to a processor.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do my own. It's really not that hard or time consuming. It does save a lot of money. You get to cut the meat the way you want. You will take care of the meat during the process better than a butcher (see horror stories). There is no wasted meat. There is a feeling of satisfaction that the entire process was done by you from the field to the freezer. Gives you something to do in between morning and afternoon hunts. And it's kind of fun [8D]
Old 08-28-2007, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

After 3-4 days at camp we usually have a cutting day where all the guys from two camps get together and work stations; some skinning, some trimming, some grinding, some packaging. We will process everything hanging up till that point (I'm in Canada so we can let a dressed animal hang a few days w/ skin on).
It can be fun, but I lose a day of my vacation to work instead of hunt, personally I'd rather have everyone pitch in 10-20$ so I can get in another day of hunting, unless its raining out.
I have a video that shows how to debone a hanging animal in very little time (a link was posted here a few years back, but it gets flagged by a copywrite violation if I try to put it on Youtube now). I mailed a burned copy to member down south just recently, but sorry guys; I can't afford to send a copy to everyone looking for instruction on this thread.

Quick Reply: proccessing your own deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.