Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 finger shooters, help me out!!! >

finger shooters, help me out!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

finger shooters, help me out!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Default finger shooters, help me out!!!

what are the top bows for fingers shooting?? Im thinking about a new bow, and I want to shoot with fingers this time.
Ive seen that hoyt has a 45" ATA bow but is kind of slow. thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 02:24 PM

Default RE: finger shooters, help me out!!!

im pretty sure u can shoot any bow with fingers.......

Or get a release and shrink your groups...................
Old 08-26-2007, 02:33 PM

I used to shoot an old compound w/o a peep w/ a kisser just fine. good enough to chase birds and squirrels in the yard with it. just becouse you shoot fingers it doesnt mean my groups will be all over the place. many used to shoot with fingers before a re-lease was even heard of. and shot well.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hoyt's off my list because I hate the Tec riser. So, if I were looking to get a current factory production, dedicated fingers shootin' bow today, I'd go with the Martin Scepter.

If I had a stuffed wallet, I'd go custom and get a Barnsdale. Sweet stuff!
http://www.barnsdalearchery.com/

Otherwise, I'd be snooping the classifieds looking for an older Scepter or Martin Cougar Elite, or a Hoyt Oasis.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 AM

I have been a finger shooter all my life. I hear that I could inprove my groups if I went to a mechanical release but I just don't want to close in any more on a 3 inch circle. I am deadly and want to keep it that way. I would encourage you to go to your local archery shop and shoot every bow you can get your hands on. When you get a good feeling, buy it and practice, practice, practice... You can be accurate and deadly with any bow if you dedicate your self to using it to the limit of your ability. It does'nt matter if you shoot fingers or mechanical if you are comfortable and accurate.
I wish you good luck and hope to see a picture of your most recent kill soon.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 AM

I shot fingers for years! I shot Darton's, Proline's,Hoyt's,Martin's and now Clearwater. The one bow that realy worked for me was the Hoyt. I shot fingers and instinctive. Until I went to sights a year or two ago I wouldn't even own a release.
Id go to an archery shop and try out the longer bows, they should be more gentle on the finger tips! Less of a pinch point at the nock on a longer bow.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

I think you may have a tough time finding a bow that you will be able to shoot with fingers. I shot with finger up until a few years ago. An injury to my hand forced to go witha release.

I would look into the Martin line of bows or Renagade out of WI. I believe they have a couple models with a longer ata.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

The longer the bow the better for a finger shooter. Yes you will give up speed doing it. The bow will be more forgiving though. I shoot a Hoyt. But that doesn't mean that's what you will like.

Darrall Dougherty
Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot fingers since I started with a Bear 45 lb recurve in the 60s...
I am currently shooting a Mountaineer that's probably 15 years old...
I have 2 pins, no peep anchor at the mouth, that's it...It's a shame that we have all these gadgets now to hang on your bow, kinda takes the skill out of shooting a bow...

If you find a good bow for finger shooters let us know, that's the main reason I don't need a new bow, nothing better than what I have....
Old 08-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know that it takes the skill out of shooting, but it does take something out of it. I feel using releases removes most of the shooter's involvement out of the act of releasing an arrow. I don't get nearly the satisfaction from making a good shot with a release that I get from making the same shot with fingers.

I also miss feeling the string. I feel like I'm more in control of the shot when I've got my fingers on the string. Maybe that gives me confidence, but I always shoot tighter groups with fingers than I can with a release.

I guess the popularity of releases goes hand in hand with our push button society. If it ain't mechanical, most people are afraid of it.

Another bow to add to the list, the Reflex Caribou. I'd prefer the older discontinued one, before the Tec riser version.

Quick Reply: finger shooters, help me out!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.