Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ethical question.... >

Ethical question....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethical question....

Old 08-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ethical question....

My wife has taken up shooting archery the past 5 months. She loves to hunt and is now intrested in taking deer with her bow. She's only about 100 lbs and slender! Most state laws require 40 lbs on the bow. Right nows she's at 36 lbs and shooting awesome out to 30 yards! She now is pulling her bow back 4-5 times, 4 timesa day trying to get to 40 lbs. I was wondering how everybody felt if she was still only pulling 36 lbs and kept her max. distance at 20 yards, would that be ethical?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ethical question....

not if the law would require 40 lbs, they just dropped our minimum to 30 lbs in MN so it is doable. I am a by the book guy, just the way I am.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:48 PM

yes but only use like a 2 blade BH adn try to get it to 40. Pull back and hold it for 1 minute 4-5 times a day too.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would still probably get the job done but you need to follow your state regs or you could end up in trouble i would try as hard as possible to get to 40 lbs

[/align]
Old 08-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Given the right arrow & broad head combination......I'd say yes!

My wife is right @ 40 lbs. She only has a 25" draw. Her max distance is 20 yards, and I try to keep them closer if possible. She is shooting 2018's with 100 grain G5's. She hasn't gotten a deer yet with this combo, but we'll see what happens this fall!!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

NOTE: We will be obeying the state laws (why she's working on getting to 40 lbs.) Just wanted to see if everyone else thought that it would get the job done and be an ethical kill. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2007, 03:17 PM

Yes, if she can hit the vitals....it'll get the job done. Go for it.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Dominant Buck

You'll be find at 40. I think my state is 35. Here are some tips to get her ready.
1) Quit taking out the trash, make it her job.
2) Get rid of the riding lawn mower and get a push rotary and make that her job to cut the grass. Not only will the other husbands be in pressed with your authority, you'll make a good impression on the global warming crowds.
3) Have a load of wood logs delivered and give her a 16# sledge and wedge. She should split at a minimum, 6 logs a day. It's ok to leave a few big pieces but remind her not to forget the kindling. Also stacking is very important for the drying process. Two stacks, one way in the backyard out of sight and a smaller one next to the house. Keep the smaller one to a two night use so shen has to replenish every other day in case it rains.

Good luck. If you follow these guidelines, she will be shooting 60 by the end of the season.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

bows are a lot faster and more efficiet than before when most weight regs were set, if its a newer bow then i would say let her hunt, even 30 lbs with a well placed shot will kill a deer
Old 08-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Sometimes when buck fever kicks in and cooler temps, that 40 pounds canfeel like 60 [&:]
Goodluck this season!

Quick Reply: Ethical question....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.