Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bow hunting gator >

bow hunting gator

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow hunting gator

Old 08-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default bow hunting gator

Do you shoot them with brodheads? Do you shoot them between the eyes? I might go on a gator hunt,and would like like to shoot one with my bow. Any addvise would be nice. Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bow hunting gator

defenitely use broadheads..................you want very very good penetration and a good size cutting diameter.

I would shoot for the vitals and not take a head shot...........but i have never hunted them so i really couldnt tell you.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:42 PM

get a bowfishing kit, such as a slotted reciever from AMS or Muzzy. basically it is a big fiberglass arrow, with a string tied to it. the other end of the string is tied to a big buoy. shoot the gator, he takes out line and buoy, you follow the buoy fight him, get him up to the boat, stick another arrow in him if possible. kill him however you feel fit.

if you shoot him with a regular arrow and broadhead, he would just swim under and youd never see him again...

definately gotta go with the bowfishing equip. go to muzzy.com and they even have kits for like 200 bucks that have everything you need.....good luck.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, i recentley watched ahunt where they were huntin gatorsand now that i think about it you pretty much have to use a fishing kit if you want to find it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 PM

All you really need is a good light, some rope, and duct tape. Just remember, the further his eyes are apart, the bigger he is. Don't bite off more than you can chew!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

They way I understood the guide is the gator would be on a limb line. So I dont think I would needa bow fishing set up. What kinda broadhead would be best? I shoot 100 gr. stipfire here in MO. Do I need a different head?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt use expanadles..............you have to penetrate through their skin.................cut on contact

Try a steel force head.....they work wonders!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:32 AM

I watched a hunting show on tvwere two guys bowhunted for gators. Pretty wild stuff. And from what I gathered, below is what is neccsary...

To hunt gators the recipe calls for the following:
-a largehelping of crazy
-a pinch of nuts'o
-a dash of insanity
-and a large set of brass balls

Mix all the ingredients together and you got yourself a gator hunt....
Old 08-24-2007, 09:52 AM

i would take ted nugent along and see what he brings to bow hunt gators. lolm jk.

i would use a very strong BH that is COC.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:57 AM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

get a bowfishing kit, such as a slotted reciever from AMS or Muzzy. basically it is a big fiberglass arrow, with a string tied to it. the other end of the string is tied to a big buoy. shoot the gator, he takes out line and buoy, you follow the buoy fight him, get him up to the boat, stick another arrow in him if possible. kill him however you feel fit.

if you shoot him with a regular arrow and broadhead, he would just swim under and youd never see him again...

definately gotta go with the bowfishing equip. go to muzzy.com and they even have kits for like 200 bucks that have everything you need.....good luck.
I have followed a few of these bowhunting gator trips and this is how the accomplish the task. Repeat shots with fishing gear and a float. The more shots the better. I believe they were just taking shots as the got em. Not really waiting for a preferred angle or position until the kill shot. Oh!...Dont forget the spot light. They were hunting them at night....kinda like frog gigging.

Quick Reply: bow hunting gator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.