Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help me understand the No man's land" >

Help me understand the No man's land"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me understand the No man's land"

Old 08-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help me understand the No man's land"

ive never butchered a deer...dad wouldnt teach me and always took them to the butchers...hey..he paid the bills. so i really dont know where the backstraps run. i know they are the back muscle but dont know how forward the come...

im a firm believer that you can hit high above the spine and lungs and not kill the deer. i am sure thats what happened to me last year when mine ducked. looked like a decint shot..but high...but the backbone comes down lower than we think in the vital region because of the shoulders...i USED to have a great link someone posted pics and all that explaining all that on another forum...but the link doesnt work anymore...

but after the vitals, the backbone is pretty much on the back of the deer...so if thats where we are talkin, i say no.

i witnessed it...i know where i hit and know that deer did not die. never even bedded in 400yds and definently wasnt jumped. i had drying up blood the whole trail. to me, it looked like a good hit...but when i found my arrow, with only 3 inches of shaft broken off, i knew something was wrong. i hit the backbone.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

im a firm believer that you can hit high above the spine and lungs and not kill the deer.
The question is (no man's land)....can you hit BETWEEN them (spine and lungs)?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:06 PM

I stand corrected. After seeing that picture i think it is entirley possible i hit above the spine.

Good Picture!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you punch a hole through both sides of a deers "torso" it will die
Old 08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok my question is if the deer was on an exhale side of a breath and the lungs were collapsed is it then possible to hit in the upper lung portion below the spine without hitting the lungs?? I have never had any problem nor have I ever shot a deer in this area, but after reading a little in this post I was just wondering??? Hey it might be a stupid question but is it possible??
Old 08-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rankbull

I think if you punch a hole through both sides of a deers "torso" it will die
Not true...everytime.

Ok my question is if the deer was on an exhale side of a breath and the lungs were collapsed is it then possible to hit in the upper lung portion below the spine without hitting the lungs??
No, the lungs will not be collapsed enough at that point, if your under the spine in the lungs portion of the cavity you will nick the lungs. Not necessarily resulting in death every time however you will hit the lungs.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:00 PM

I have never had a deer do this but I had a Impala in Africa take a shot from one of my clients in the spine with a 338.06 the animal hit the ground like someone jerked the rug out from under him, and while him and his sons were high fiving each other instead of watching the animal, it got up and took off in the bush never to be seen again. So I would say it is very reasonable that it could happen.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

The question is (no man's land)....can you hit BETWEEN them (spine and lungs)?
No you can't. If you get it below the spine you are going to hit lung. What Rob/PA said, may not be much but there is not enough room to get a broadhead through there without hitting lung.

wolfhound, what likely happened there was the client hit high, going through the backstraps and also hit the dorsal spinous process breaking it off. This will shock the spinal cord/column and make the animal go down. As soon as the shock factor in the cord wears off, happens very quickly, the animal will get up and run away.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

gotcha Jeff....

so now i say, alot of guys believe in it, because like me...the hit high...above the lungs and spine. i know ANY lower and i would have spined that buck...if you played it on video i bet 90% of you guys would all say i smoked him...heck, my lighted nock even went off...i thought PASS THROUGH!! it actually just shut off on impact...but you wouldnt believe how low i REALLY hit...i would never guessed i hit the backbone till i did the research....
Old 08-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never hit no mans land but I hit sage brush land a couple times last week..kinda hard on broadheads..

Quick Reply: Help me understand the No man's land"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.